Pitching and Catching, possible or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
My DD will be playing on 10u LL team (which I will be coaching, have coached her teams since tball) this spring, she will be LL age 8. She wants to both Catch and Pitch. Has caught part time for my teams for a few years now, and is halfway decent. DD played 10u last year as well, had trouble with throws to second, but otherwise was my second best catcher (best catcher was 10 yr old who played travel ball). DD is also expressing interest in TB in near future. Pitched a couple of innings last year, did OK, will be getting her to league run clinic this spring run by outside pitching coach

Question is can she at least for now realistically try to develop as both C and P? I fully understand, at the very least, in a few years she will likely need to decide, but is specialization necessary now? I simply want to do what is best for her, but I don't like the idea of telling her she has to pick one or the other. I don't even like kids this young concentrating entirely in one sport, let alone a position. I think they need a variety (our DDs play different several different sports based on season (fiueld hockey, soccer, swimming, softball). I think this is good for their physical development (variety of motions, muscles worked, types of conditioining, etc.) and for emotional well being. They want to try new things, meet new people. I hear horror stories of kids who play/train for one sport only year round (many times pushed by parent), junior year of HS comes around, and they declare they are done with it, they hate it, etc.

Is P and C mutually exclusive at the ripe old age of 8? Or can she continue to do both, and if she is still playing softball in 3 years or so, then narrow to one (or neither)?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would encourage her to do both at this age. She will be a better P by catching and vice versa.

Be careful if it gets really hot out there, both positions will were her out.

Sep 29, 2014
At 10U I say go for it...later it won't be practical but for now let her try things out and see what she likes.

May 22, 2012
saw it once in a cartoon
FF1045-Baseball-Bugs.jpg

May 6, 2015
thanks for all the feedback, glad to hear I am not crazy (at least on this)

On the issue of hot days and wearing her out, I really am going to try to avoid having her P and C in same game in any game, regardless of weather. maybe if she only pitched one or two (which will mean she was off, ideally if they are up for it I want to give pitchers several innings if not entire game) I might have her catch, but that is it. When hot out, I actually don't let anyone catch an entire game, always mix it up, this is LL, and I normally have 4-5 who want to catch, and of them normally get at least 2 who are decent, and maybe one more serviceable.

May 6, 2015
she also does get plenty of time at other positions as well, i rotate kids all over, her best play of the year last year was in LF, caught a towering pop fly, our whole team and parents went nuts (I only half expected her to catch it myself).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You can probably do both in REC ball or very low level TB, but if your DD is a primary pitcher (#1 or #2), most TB coaches will not want her to catch. Catcher is physically demanding and has the highest risk of injury. If your DD is the #3 or #4 pitcher and is a good catcher, there is a chance a coach will be willing to take the risk.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
DD has gone through 10u playing both pitcher and catcher, all infield and outfield positions at 12u, now at 14u settling in to 1st base and outfield, although she still dreams of pitching. So do them all, you'll never know where she will end up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom