Pitches are drifting away from the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
The consistency in release comes from brush (brush interference, brush assisted whip, brush assisted release, and a million other terms used to describe it). So adjusting a pitch in and out by consciously changing the release doesn't work.
All this brush interference talk about being the only way to time the release got me to thinking. How on earth does a baseball pitcher become so accurate without any "brush" point to set their timing to?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
All this brush interference talk about being the only way to time the release got me to thinking. How on earth does a baseball pitcher become so accurate without any "brush" point to set their timing to?

I don't believe that brush interference can affect control. If it did then wearing a heavy sweatshirt, which would cause BI to happen sooner, would make a pitcher wild in a predictable manner. If BI happened sooner the pitcher should release earlier and the ball should go low.

Mar 20, 2015
One thing it does is it allows good posture and stability at release which translates into control and accuracy. Without it the body is leaning over in an unbalanced and unstable position. Overhand pitching can be stacked and balanced without dealing with hip contact.

Mar 28, 2014
One thing it does is it allows good posture and stability at release which translates into control and accuracy. Without it the body is leaning over in an unbalanced and unstable position. Overhand pitching can be stacked and balanced without dealing with hip contact.
are you implying that you cannot lean over and still brush your hip with your forearm?

Mar 20, 2015
are you implying that you cannot lean over and still brush your hip with your forearm?

No, my point is you cannot maintain the vertical alignment Sarah Pauly demonstrates in this clip without Brush Interference as it is described in sticky in the pitching forum.

tDPzVY.gif

Mar 28, 2014
No, my point is you cannot maintain the vertical alignment Sarah Pauly demonstrates in this clip without Brush Interference as it is described in sticky in the pitching forum.

tDPzVY.gif
But that concept is unrelated to my original post which was regarding the idea often repeated here that brush interference creates the timing that is essential for accuracy. My post was about timing, not posture.

Without that brush interference that people say creates the timing for release that is required for accuracy, how can a baseball pitcher be so accurate?

Side note - interesting to see that Sarah does not have her palm up at 9 o'clock. Matter of fact she is awfully close to having plam down at 11 o'clock!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
No one is saying that brush interference isn't an important checkpoint on a long list the leads to a sound pitching motion. But the idea that it somehow 'causes' good control is a reach. I have seen plenty of pitchers who have good brush interference but lack control.

Sep 19, 2018
Side note - interesting to see that Sarah does not have her palm up at 9 o'clock. Matter of fact she is awfully close to having plam down at 11 o'clock!
I've watched video of hoover and Luna where the palm at 11:00 is almost down then they rotate to palm up by 9:00. I would guess that this is not optimal but seems to work for both of them.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Chin up versus chin down is a way of controlling forward/backward posture relative to your spine. Down brings your nose forward. It’s a simple way of adjusting pitch height, especially. With younger pitchers that are still developing muscle memory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812