Pitchers Re-entry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Last night DD played in a Little League (12U/Majors) game where the plate umpire informed the coaching staff that the pitchers could not re-enter the game as a pitcher... could someone cite the rule book for me? I can't find that one...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are special rules about pitching in LL.

For BB, the pitcher is not allowed to reenter the game as a pitcher even if they never left the game.

For SB, I think the pitcher can re-enter the game once an inning when they haven’t left the game. If she comes out of the game she is no allowed to re-enter that inning as a P. (Don’t take this as true, I do not have a rule book)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
d. A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher anytime in the remainder
of the game, but only once in the same inning as he/she was removed.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
d. A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher anytime in the remainder
of the game, but only once in the same inning as he/she was removed.

Unless the rule has changed and the way I remember it...this only applies to the starting pitcher. If you make a pitching change with the starter, the starter may return as the pitcher any time during the game (inning has no bearing); and you can only do this once. You cannot replace the starter with another pitcher a second time and have the starter return as the pitcher a 3rd time.

Once you remove a relief pitcher from pitching, that relief pitcher may not pitch again.

Example:

1 A
2 A
3 B
4 B, A
5 A, C
6 C or D

Pitcher A is the starter and pitches 1 & 2
Pitcher B takes over in inning 3
Inning 4 B gets wild, A can relieve B in inning 4
Inning 5 A starts and gets tired. B cannot relieve A in inning 5 C must come in.
Inning 6 either C continues or D pitches 6th inning. A cannot pitch for a 3rd time in inning 6.

It's been a few years since coaching LL but this is the way I remember it.

Sep 26, 2011
DDs have played LL for 6 years. It's not just the starting pitchers that can return. It's any pitcher provided they have not left the field. You can swap your Starting pitcher with your SS or any other player for that matter every inning if you'd like. The only restriction is you can only come back in once per inning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101