Pitcher's Pocket / Net recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Hi Everyone - it's time to accommodate DD with a 9 hole pitcher's pocket. She wants to do some pitching on her own.

We picked up one from Amazon:
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 11.07.10 AM.png
Amazon product ASIN B00W81SDYE
The problem is, the netting is too thick and if there is are more than two balls in the pocket above, a ball going below that pocket just bounces off the pocket and flies out. Another issue is - she is a rise ball thrower and I do see 12 hole pockets out there, but are they worth the extra money?
Feedback appreciated.

Feb 14, 2019
We picked up a used Zone-In pitching target with the optional zone isolators for a good price. DD likes it for pitching purposes and it can be used as a throwing target for fielding practice also.
home_large.jpg

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What brand did you buy? I recently ordered the Tanner pro pitcher model, which is smaller, but the leg height is adjustable. The normal 9 hole pocket is too big for experienced pitchers and is better for fielding throws.

The adjustable height makes it better for those who throw the rise.

May 13, 2021
What brand did you buy? I recently ordered the Tanner pro pitcher model, which is smaller, but the leg height is adjustable. The normal 9 hole pocket is too big for experienced pitchers and is better for fielding throws.

The adjustable height makes it better for those who throw the rise.
How do you like the pitcher’s pocket pro.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How do you like the pitcher’s pocket pro.
So, after trying out both, I decided on the normal one for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason why was the Pro version is too small for practicing movement pitches off the plate. For example, it's about 18" wide, but the catcher is normally set up at least 2' behind the plate, and a ball that skims the black at the front of the plate missed the pocket another 2'-3' further back. We tried moving it inside and outside, but she works her curve to both sides of the plate, and it was too much of a hassle to always be repositioning the darn thing.

All in all, I do like it it a lot.

May 13, 2021
So, after trying out both, I decided on the normal one for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason why was the Pro version is too small for practicing movement pitches off the plate. For example, it's about 18" wide, but the catcher is normally set up at least 2' behind the plate, and a ball that skims the black at the front of the plate missed the pocket another 2'-3' further back. We tried moving it inside and outside, but she works her curve to both sides of the plate, and it was too much of a hassle to always be repositioning the darn thing.

All in all, I do like it it a lot.
I thought that might be the case. In the descriptions it says the bigger one good for beginners and the smaller one good for older kids. My thinking was they have that backwards. Looks like the smaller one would be better for younger kids just trying to throw strikes and the bigger one better for older kids learning to throw almost a strike.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I thought that might be the case. In the descriptions it says the bigger one good for beginners and the smaller one good for older kids. My thinking was they have that backwards. Looks like the smaller one would be better for younger kids just trying to throw strikes and the bigger one better for older kids learning to throw almost a strike.
Yes, I can see what you mean. Also, I think the Pro version is better for baseball where the pitches tend to break downward more than softball rather than sideways. My daughter throws a rise curve that breaks away from a righty. She never wants that thing to be called a strike, so if she hits the zone with the smaller version, it's a mistake pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802