Pitchers Personalities

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
These points made are very important!
Ongoing 33 years of teaching catching. Because every pitch matters!
"Catchers are a defensive player behind the plate with the added pleasure of framing, and throwing runners out!"
Be prepared for every pitch of every game!!!

A catcher who shows an athletic readiness, can instill confidence in a pitcher to throw anything they need to!
Positve, Purposful, Presence!
Bring it! We got this!
DD has had a preferred catcher from any team she's been on. Obviously she'll pitch to whomever the HC puts back there, but without question has her favorite. One thing I made sure to do, was early on I had DD behind the plate too (by all right she started her first year of rec behind the plate and some during her second year). Last year she filled in for 5-6 games back there as well. This taught her just how hard that position really is, and how important it is to take care of your catcher by pitching well and keeping them out of the dirt. It helped her to understand how frustrating it is for a catcher to constantly be chasing WP's and blocking pitch after pitch in the dirt. She and her catchers seem to bond early, they need each other. It's helped make her a better pitcher. When she has someone back there she trusts, she feels more free to let go and really attack batters. When it's someone she doesn't fully trust, I can tell she holds back just a little. Not enough that most people can tell, but I can see it.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
DD started as a Stoic personality in the circle and now has moved to the charismatic personality. Recently she has been “too loose” in my opinion and not enough “nails” type but she is getting it done. However its clear she is having fun, whereas before she had to tell me she was having fun. Thanks to all the great folks here I have changed tremendously over the last 6 months and I’m in the camp of “don’t worry about it” as long as she works hard, competes and is a great teammate. It’s worked pretty good - DD is having alot of success, we are tighter than ever and my blood pressure is down 30 points. HA!

As far as the original question goes, IME the best personality for a pitcher at the 14 and younger ages is stoic. Seems like teams need that lead by example gonna run you over with a straight face to follow. Seems like older teams do better with smiles, verbal leadership etc. maybe because roles are better understood as they mature as players.

May 11, 2018
DD is 13, i am still trying to figure her out. she pitches her best when she is dancing, laughing and having fun in the circle. she fights to win but seems to have a good time doing it. she also brushes off loses and walks. she plays her best when she is just relaxed having fun and her teams seems to win most of their games.

May 31, 2018
I can add to this one. Good question.

My DD finished first 14u fall and started as ace, finished as ace on team but some really good pitchers are on the team and IMO they are interchangeable. Each of them are diff in the Circle. Mine is more of stoic but will have occasional smile on a K, or a pitch that went nowhere it was supposed to go to. Her pitch coach is HC (as other 2 pitchers so no favorites) and says she does well but want "some swag" out of her. She pitched D1, and explains it as not being visually cocky but just have a posture of owning mound vs batter owning box. Standing tall, glove tucked and little positive bounce and ready to go to attack the batter. She does well, but if things go off, she can get what I call slumpy shoulders. Working on mental side alot now this spring and looking forward to that side of improvement.

Aug 21, 2008
Pitchers Personalities
*Not how they pitch.

Rather -what type of presence in the circle.

*How does this, or does this,
impact team chemistry?

Examples-
Charismatic- makes eye contact with team and verbal.

Stoic- never cracks a smile,
strong body language.

Queen bee- relaxed, not interested in fielding, teams friend.

Snob-...snob. Perhaps introvert, non interactive.

* Add own examples please,
these are to open discussion.

What works, what complicates things, what doesnt work, or can they all work?
Perhaps we can discuss area's to
encourage development in this important role on the field!

Go Pitchers!
Go Feedback!

RAD, what a unique and cool idea for a post. I don't know if you did this for information sake or just for discussion but it's a really great topic and has been fun to read!!

Bill

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RAD, what a unique and cool idea for a post. I don't know if you did this for information sake or just for discussion but it's a really great topic and has been fun to read!!

Bill

Thank you Bill,
Think it is an important topic!
Really like all the responses!

Enjoy!
Turbo

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
DD is a fierce competitor but she smiles while she's taking her opponent apart. My favorite is when opposing teams who have never faced her see her warm up and laugh cause she's a grunter. Then they say to each other she's not that fast. I walk by after the game and they are saying what just happened? How did we lose? She's not throwing smoke or anything special we just didn't hit cause she was all over the place around the strike zone. Then I chuckle as I think, that was the plan all along :)

I also believe that after years of watching pitchers that some kids have the head for it and some just don't. I also think that colleges know that and can tell. That's why you see kids with good stuff who are not on big school's radar. Show me a kid who can get out of a bases loaded 2 out jam 3-2 count in a 0-0 game in the 7th. That's the head they need.

Apr 28, 2019
I can add to this one. Good question.

My DD finished first 14u fall and started as ace, finished as ace on team but some really good pitchers are on the team and IMO they are interchangeable. Each of them are diff in the Circle. Mine is more of stoic but will have occasional smile on a K, or a pitch that went nowhere it was supposed to go to. Her pitch coach is HC (as other 2 pitchers so no favorites) and says she does well but want "some swag" out of her. She pitched D1, and explains it as not being visually cocky but just have a posture of owning mound vs batter owning box. Standing tall, glove tucked and little positive bounce and ready to go to attack the batter. She does well, but if things go off, she can get what I call slumpy shoulders. Working on mental side alot now this spring and looking forward to that side of improvement.
Sounds like great situation. Your HC is also your PC and gives instruction to all top pitchers. No favorites because she has a vested interest in all the pitchers doing well. Very nice.
Mental aspect can be tough. Always gotta try and stay positive it’s all about the next pitch.

Jul 14, 2018
DD is the stoic type -- seems pretty common here among pitchers. I'd don't think you can pitch effectively if you can't manage your emotions (that's what did me in as a young pitcher).

DD does have a 'tell' that my wife and I can spot. When she gets a strikeout or makes a good pitch or a good play, her ponytail swishes back and forth when she walks back to the rubber. It's subtle, but it's there. My wife will turn to me and say, "Oh! She's happy with that one!"

Aug 21, 2008
So, I've read all the comments with interest. I think this was a really cool and unique topic.

I've seen guys foaming at the mouth with intensity, and I've seen guys who look like they rolled out of a Cheech and Chong bus relaxed. And there's something to be said for both "styles".... the intensity pitcher makes the other team wonder what they are actually feeling and thinking. Never showing emotion if they throw the best pitch of the day or the worst, hit someone in the head, throw it over the backstop, or throw the backbreaking change up that makes the crowd collectively "Ooooooh". The laid back pitcher shows quite obviously that nothing phases them, a LONG homerun is met with a laughter at missing the location. This pitcher can laugh at their mistakes, and the other team is left thinking they can't be "rattled". Don't forget about the cocky pitcher either, several posters have mentioned their DD's having a little swagger on a great pitch thrown. Add in some trash talking and you have the cocky pitcher. LIke a riseball fouled straight back over the catcher's head, where the hitter is angry that they just missed it. The cocky pitcher will show with fingers how close the hitter was to it, adding "yea, you just missed it, swing harder!". Or after several strikeouts telling the coach when walking off the field between innings, "They're just swatting at flies coach!!!" "Tell 'em to leave the bat and hope the ump misses 4 balls before I get 3 strikes".

For me personally, I paid more attention to my INNER self instead of outer. I needed the self confidence that if this person is a great dropball hitter, "Lets see him hit MY dropball!!!!" But also balancing that to not pitch to their strength, it's a distinction with a difference. Sometimes the Inner and Outer selves mirror each other, sometimes we can't hide our feelings and thoughts on our faces. This is why sports psychology is one of the most overlooked aspect of athlete training. Getting that INNER confidence that will display outwards in whatever character traits she has.

Funny story, last year our teams #1 pitcher (who is like a Star Trek Vulcan, no emotion and stoic... and I lovingly referred to her as "Spock") was pitching to a very old umpire who kept missing balls on the corners and really great pitches that should've been strikes. I could see this was rattling her and I made a visit about the 4th inning to the circle. I called the whole infield in and asked what's up, the catcher (who spoke for the group) gave me a profanity laced tirade of how bad the umpire was. I stayed in the circle as long as I could, he started to walk out to break up the meeting. As he got close enough, I said for everyone out there to hear "I know, I know, he's missing a lot. He must've been the look out at Pearl Harbor!!" And, by God, Spock broke out laughing so hard I thought we were going to have to make a pitching change!!! We won the game. :)

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee