Pitchers Backing Up Bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Wanted to see if there is a consensus around what role a pitcher plays once the ball is put in play. I’ve read they generally stay in the circle for all plays with the exception of backing up 3B on a triple and a throw from LF and backing up home when the play is clearly going to be home (say runner on 2B and a single to OF). Is it more complicated than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
Admittedly, I and my DD come from baseball. ANY hit to the right side of the field has the pitcher automatically heading towards 1b then stopping or continuing upon assessment of the play unfolding. Since 1b is one of my DD's main positions, this is also a very big thought and concern of mine that I don't see her coaches teaching. My DD is not the "big" girl that plays first and can't move, she's quite athletic. I have always instructed her 3 steps, then it's 2b's problem. If she takes those 3 steps and makes a great play, I still expect the pitcher to be there for the throw. I'd very much like real confirmation on this though and whether I'm stuck in a BB mindset or correct.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Stop asking hard questions.

Age is a difference but younger levels they are the are the best fielders.

HC would not let P leave circle. Not sure just throw it to circle. someone will be there,

Oct 4, 2018
Stop asking hard questions.

Age is a difference but younger levels they are the are the best fielders.

HC would not let P leave circle. Not sure just throw it to circle. someone will be there,

That goes (or should) go away at a pretty young age. We have an outfielder on our 10U team who throws to the pitcher. Other team sees it and takes the next base. Gotta get that ball to the bag in front of the lead runner.

I'll admit our pitcher usually hovers in the circle. I'd like to coach them on better places to be but I'm not sure we're there yet. We're a new, young team with so much to teach/learn.

Feb 21, 2017
Generally do the same.

In baseball with runners on traditionally the pitcher heads to the 3B line and backs up third or home depending on the hit/ how defense plays the ball/speed of runner. Usually that is it.

In LL and my rare SB coaching I had them back up the throw from CF at 2B as you mentioned. (Edit: not a completely an active backup but more of a patrol of the area behind the mound/circle for the stray ball.) I also made them back up a ball to deep 2B/RF. They would head towards first base line in the event 2B/RF throws to first and it gets past. It payed off a couple times but mostly just keeps them engaged. (Edit: this was not clear. as mentioned they generally patrol around the mound so in this RF case they cover the mound/circle to 1B-line so not backing up as more being in the area. They would probably be moving in that direction in the first place.)

As they get older the second paragraph doesn’t really matter so they just focus on pitching. (Edit: if they are aware of keeping the play at younger ages they don't become a mound-prince or circle- princess when they get older.)

Last edited:

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Wanted to see if there is a consensus around what role a pitcher plays once the ball is put in play. I’ve read they generally stay in the circle for all plays with the exception of backing up 3B on a triple and a throw from LF and backing up home when the play is clearly going to be home (say runner on 2B and a single to OF). Is it more complicated than that?

I don't see a pitcher backing up 1B ever...even a throw from RF, that should be the catcher. I'd say backing up 3B on a throw from LF or CF, or backing up home any time it is needed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Admittedly, I and my DD come from baseball. ANY hit to the right side of the field has the pitcher automatically heading towards 1b then stopping or continuing upon assessment of the play unfolding. Since 1b is one of my DD's main positions, this is also a very big thought and concern of mine that I don't see her coaches teaching. My DD is not the "big" girl that plays first and can't move, she's quite athletic. I have always instructed her 3 steps, then it's 2b's problem. If she takes those 3 steps and makes a great play, I still expect the pitcher to be there for the throw. I'd very much like real confirmation on this though and whether I'm stuck in a BB mindset or correct.

In softball, it's very rare for the pitcher to get to 1B to take the throw from F3. On a ball hit to the 3-4 gap, F4 should be moving to her left towards the path of the ball. If F3 fields the ball, F4 needs to continue her path to 1B and take the throw from F3. In baseball, the larger field dimensions make it so F1 has a shorter distance than F4 to get to the base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28