Pitchers and bunion surgery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
DD is now entering her senior year at HS.
She has pretty bad bunions on both feet but her drag foot is significantly worse, I assume due to the constant pressure on her inner foot during the drag. We have discussed 2 scenarios, one being having the surgery this fall after her season and rehab over winter. The other would be to wait until after college as she will be pitching in school once she graduates HS.
Looking for opinons if anyone's DD has has the surgery and came back to pitch at a high level. She has finally found a cleat that she is comfortable wearing and does not cause pain. That said just looking for advice.

Thanks!

May 27, 2013
Ughhh....sorry to hear about this!

I guess my questions would be would it impact her HS season at all? Would that be an important factor (might be a non-factor with Covid). Is she doing ok comfort-wise or is it progressively getting worse where it might cause issues in college?

I’ve seen adults have pretty lengthy recovery times from bunionectomies but then again, these are typically middle aged to older adults. I’m sure at her age she would heal pretty quickly.

Such a tough decision! Sorry, wish I had more to offer...

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks!
Her teamate had the same surgery last winter and didn't miss a beat. Not a pitcher though.
No worries she will be fine just looking for any experiences. She's a tough one ;)

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
All bunion surgery is not the same. Some involve just shaving the bone while others involve correcting the Hallux Valgus angle alignment with a screws and plates. It takes 3 to 5 week for bone healing and longer for soft tissue. Plan on 6 to 8 weeks recovery to 100%.
I am curious on what cleats she found comfortable?

Apr 28, 2014
All bunion surgery is not the same. Some involve just shaving the bone while others involve correcting the Hallux Valgus angle alignment with a screws and plates. It takes 3 to 5 week for bone healing and longer for soft tissue. Plan on 6 to 8 weeks recovery to 100%.
I am curious on what cleats she found comfortable?
She was using Ringors when she was younger but they really hurt. Moved to New Balance which were better but now has a pair of Nike with soft sides that she absolutely loves.
I'll post up the exact type tomorrow

Feb 11, 2015
Could you post up the NIke? Shoe shopping now for a pitcher with sore plant foot. ringors last but the insides are pounded out. thanks

Apr 28, 2014
Here is the cleat.
Seems like no one here is interested in sharing their DDs experience.
A few have some information... guess its secret...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-202451_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-202451_Chrome.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 12
Mar 11, 2017
DD is now entering her senior year at HS.
She has pretty bad bunions on both feet but her drag foot is significantly worse, I assume due to the constant pressure on her inner foot during the drag. We have discussed 2 scenarios, one being having the surgery this fall after her season and rehab over winter. The other would be to wait until after college as she will be pitching in school once she graduates HS.
Looking for opinons if anyone's DD has has the surgery and came back to pitch at a high level. She has finally found a cleat that she is comfortable wearing and does not cause pain. That said just looking for advice.

Thanks!
Wondering if you went ahead with the surgery? My daughter is facing the same decision now, but she is a freshman.

Mar 28, 2014
Here is the cleat.
Seems like no one here is interested in sharing their DDs experience.
A few have some information... guess its secret...
She wears molded cleats? any reason for that?

Also this Bucket Dad is happy to hear that a $60 pair of cleats is comfortable because pitchers go through cleats like pairs of socks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28