Pitcher without lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 27, 2023
Pitcher with private lessons VS pitcher with no lessons? Skill sets are roughly the same for 10u. I can’t help but think of how many Odicci Alexander’s there could be if more pitchers without lessons actually got a fair shot in the circle.

Sep 3, 2015
If I were a coach I would only care about results in the circle, not who your pitching coach is, or if you even have one. I would be trying to win games. This seems very odd to me.

I know one self/dad taught pitcher that got a scholarship. She had an odd motion but apparently she got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2023
So are you saying coaches purposely don’t give circle time to girls that don’t take private lessons. Even when they are as good or better than the girls that do?
Yes. There are multiple girls that pitch, only 1 of them has never had lessons, yet that 1 is the only one not getting a fair shot.

Feb 13, 2018
I would just ask the coach. Could be any number of things. Also, occasionally parents don't actually have the best take on their child's skill levels, especially if they aren't very well versed in the sport. Coach may have specifics metrics they are using to determine if the child is ready for circle time.

Jun 20, 2015
especially at younger ages, i could really care less on motion....throwing strikes is the key. Now, as they all age and progress, pitchers are going to have to practice, refine and acquire skills to maintain success. And honestly, if player X gets good enough throwing at a wall umpteen hours per week, any coach that ignores that skill level is better off leaving.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Pitcher with private lessons VS pitcher with no lessons? Skill sets are roughly the same for 10u. I can’t help but think of how many Odicci Alexander’s there could be if more pitchers without lessons actually got a fair shot in the circle.
I read somewhere that Alexander credits Amanda Scarborough's videos for helping her learn the mechanics of pitching, so even though you could say she never took lessons you can't say that she never had instruction.

Throwing strikes at a young age is something that doesn't concern me, in fact it's often the kiss of death when it comes to learning good pitching mechanics. I tell parents right away in the first lesson that if their daughter wants to be a dominant pitcher they have to put up with a lot of walks and probably reduced time on the mound for the first year (or more) due to coaches who want girls who can 'just throw strikes'. Girls come for lessons with a strike throwing bowling motion baked in, and struggle for a long time to change that muscle pattern. Some never shake it completely and are not as successful as they could have been. Unfortunately it's an unavoidable part of softball pitching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12