Pitcher with a replant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
When a pitcher lands and her drive leg kicks up dirt after landing this appears to be a replant. I'm seeing more and more of this. Mizzou pitcher doing this right now. Legal or Illegal?
Seeing this at all levels of travel ball now as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I always watch the knee. If the knee is bent and then pushes off again (straightens) it's a hop, and it's illegal. That doesn't mean it will be called though. I've seen some girls do that but don't push off again, in which case it's just their form and I don't believe it to be illegal. Of course, who am I to say...

(Sorry for the potato quality, but it's just as well) This was an elite level program. Not only did the pitcher leap, she crow hopped as her back leg pushed off once she landed. Quite effective until the opposing team cried foul. In this instance the opposing team did get the illegal calls multiple times but it caused a lot of consternation. If I recall, the pitcher was D1 bound, possibly even P5, which seemed crazy for obvious reasons. Of course, she was much less effective having to pitch within the rules.

illegal.png

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Another year it will be legal. Wouldn't spend a ton of time worrying about it.

Are they considering making the crow hop (replant, new point of impetus) legal, or just the leap (both feet off the ground) legal?

Feb 1, 2021
Had a very very very good pitcher on my DDs old travel team that replanted. It didn't bother me much then of course, but almost never got called.

Long story short, most of the travel team would end up playing HS ball for our rival school. I see it now when we play against them and I scream on the inside. Lol. Its never been called in school ball. I tell our coaches its coming too and they agree but its goes nowhere. There are very few umps that even know what to look for.

Apr 20, 2015
Agree that very very few umpires actually know that a leap and replant are different things. Actually very few people understand the concept period.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
We played a "leaper" last week who was lights out and touched the chalk and then some with every pitch. Despite the coach drawing the ump's attention to it multiple times he kept saying she is dragging. Yeah, after she leaps off! Parents were taking pictures/video and it was beyond clear. We looked at her record after the game seems that she was called for it with other umps as her stats were very average against most other teams (and our girls don't stink, they can hit).

Jul 22, 2015
Agree that very very few umpires actually know that a leap and replant are different things. Actually very few people understand the concept period.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
To complicate the matter more, there are some who essentially replant without leaping or at least stay very close to the ground.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478