Pitcher sweaty hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Bill - can I ask where you found that information about USSSA? I still get confused about whether USSSA allows GG. Their rules explicitly allowed it (by name) in the 10th Edition (2010?): but any reference to GG was removed by the 14th Edition (2017).

Both the 14th and 15th Editions (2020) now state the following:

And since the GG website uses tacky / tackiness / "tackifies" / etc. multiple times (ex. "Depending on the amount of tackiness, it can last a very short time or much longer"), I'm having a hard time convincing myself that USSSA is still saying GG is legal.

For reference - full text from 15th Edition, Rule 6.1.I, pg 35-36:
It would be great if there was clarification directly from USSSA about this product, similar to the NFHS statement found in another thread. Or at least disclose their list of "approved drying agent(s)". I've yet to find anything via the internet.

The owners of Gorilla Gold are the ones that originally told me. And almost all of the pitchers I work with here in the midwest play in USSSA tournaments are using the product, none have ever had complaints from umpires or opponents. Ironically, opponents and umpires still call things illegal that are not illegal such as "presenting the ball" and not knowing the difference between start back and step back rules.

In my experience, ALL softball organizations follow the ASA/USA rulebook. However, some of these have their own rules too. So their rule book will say something like "The Gags softball association follows the USA/ASA rulebook, with the following exceptions:" then it will list the exceptions, which can be about something such as a doublebag at first base. And things like that.

Ironically, I just looked on the GG website and they don't have USSSA listed as an approved association, despite what the guy told me on the phone long ago. Maybe it was legal and now isn't? Even that is strange because, as I mentioned, I know many pitchers who use it without issue at USSSA events. But, umpires with their own agendas and even own sets of rules aren't unheard of.

Jul 5, 2016
... Ironically, opponents and umpires still call things illegal that are not illegal such as "presenting the ball" and not knowing the difference between start back and step back rules.

For how long as presenting the ball not been illegal. I remember a tournament - probably 2014 - when the umpire was busting my daughter for this. My daughter almost had a stroke, but I guess she learned from the experience. Only time she was ever called for that, so I think the ump may have been the problem.

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks Bill. I'll likely have my daughter give it a try, as "control" can often be an issue with her. Will be interested to see what improvement she might see on her drop. I guess the worst that happens at 12U would be the umpire saying she can't use it, and we just switch back to the rosin bag.

Aug 21, 2008
For how long as presenting the ball not been illegal. I remember a tournament - probably 2014 - when the umpire was busting my daughter for this. My daughter almost had a stroke, but I guess she learned from the experience. Only time she was ever called for that, so I think the ump may have been the problem.

35-40 years. Seriously. It's been a generation since that rule has been out of the rulebook. However, it's a phrase that is just passed down from one generation to the next at softball tournaments. One parent hears it, asks what it means, then they repeat and pass it down to the next family. And on it goes. And there's still FAAAAAR too many umpires who think this is a rule. It's sad.

Unless your town's league or tournament has a specific rule requiring it, there is no "present the ball" rule anymore. As long as the pitcher doesn't walk onto the rubber with the hands together, they are legal. It doesn't matter if the ball is in the hand or in the glove.

Aug 21, 2008
That's interesting, not only does Gorilla Gold show it on their website, but you could see nearly every pitcher with one of their towels in the backpocket during every game.

Aug 18, 2018
Just curious who said that gorilla gold could not be used? Was this an interpretation or was this direct from that sanctioning body?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2018
I sent this to the tournament director and the changed their mind and sent a follow up that Gorilla Gold is ok:

From the NFHS, the rule set PGF uses:

SITUATION 3: (a) F1 has a powered rosin bag which she squeezes in her hand then places back on the ground prior to stepping on the pitcher’s plate. Once on the pitcher’s plate she goes directly to the ball without wiping the drying agent from her hand. (b) F1 takes a comparable drying agent (Gorilla Gold) from her pocket and wipes her hand on it several times, then places the towel back into her pocket. Once on the pitcher’s plate she goes directly to the ball without wiping her hand. (c) F1 touches the dirt infield with her hand then steps onto the pitcher’s plate and goes directly to the ball without wiping off her hand. (d) F1 picks up a hand full of dirt and rolls it around in her hand then drops the dirt and steps onto the pitcher’s plate and goes directly to the ball without wiping off her hand. (e) F1 picks up a handful of dirt and places it onto the ball rubbing the dirt into the ball. RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). The powered rosin and the comparable drying agent are permitted based on their ability to not transfer to the ball. Wiping these substances off the hand prior to touching the ball is not necessary. Legal in (c) and (d). Dirt is not considered a foreign substance. Therefore, it is not necessary to wipe off the hand before going to the ball. Illegal in (e). Rubbing dirt onto the ball is considered defacing the ball and is not permitted. (1-3-6, 6-2-2)

Link:
https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/softball-rules-interpretations/

no_photo.png
ReplyReply allForward

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My sister has an issue with sweaty hands. She's always used one of those white towels like quarterbacks in football use. I asked her if she's ever heard of gorilla gold and she never has heard of it. She said she'll have to check it out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812