Pitcher sweaty hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’ve tried to get DD to use Gorilla Grip but she says she doesn’t like the tacky feel of her fingers. I personally like and use it.

She uses a UA towel for now. But has expressed wanting to try rosin.

Apr 12, 2015
Dirt between every pitch, wipe her hand before touching the ball.

All my DD uses is dirt, but most of the fields we play on have a dirt infield. With more and more fields going to turf, I don't know if that's an option for the OP.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Rosin bags are what all the pitchers use on my DD’s teams. Although now that I think about it one uses a towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
So, rock rosin is illegal for pitchers. The white powder rosin isn't. The difference between the 2 is, rock rosin adds stickiness to the hand where powder rosin only soaks up the moisture. Rock rosin comes in a bag that almost looks like a sock. The powder rosin is in a small canvas square. I used to take rock rosin.... I mean, I knew a guy who would cut open powder rosin bags, empty them, pour rock rosin in there, then sew it back up. And because it was in a powder rosin bag, nobody would ever check.

Gorilla Gold is the only grip enhancer approved by ASA, USSSA and all the alphabet soup organizations. It's because it doesn't turn the ball black the way other grip enhancers do like Pine tar and frim grip do for example. Gorilla Gold stays on the hand only, it doesn't really transfer to the ball.

If you have a young pitcher who says she doesn't like the feel she should learn to like it. Practice with the stuff, use it in pitching lessons, GET USED TO IT!! It will help them, TRUST ME. I didn't like using sticky stuff as a young pitcher either, then I kept noticing all the really great pitchers using it. This was no coincidence. So I worked out with it, practiced all I could with it, and it became a big part of my game. All anyone has to do is look at the numbers in MLB to see the difference. Pitchers are screaming bloody murder that they cannot "cheat" anymore. Look at their ball's spin rates and how the spin reduction without "cheating" has effected their pitching. Softball pitchers are allowed this benefit with Gorilla Gold and it's NOT cheating because it's legal. It's incomprehensible to think of a pitcher who throws movement pitches that wouldn't want this benefit. I didn't like the feel either, until I saw the benefits.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
So, rock rosin is illegal for pitchers. The white powder rosin isn't. The difference between the 2 is, rock rosin adds stickiness to the hand where powder rosin only soaks up the moisture. Rock rosin comes in a bag that almost looks like a sock. The powder rosin is in a small canvas square. I used to take rock rosin.... I mean, I knew a guy who would cut open powder rosin bags, empty them, pour rock rosin in there, then sew it back up. And because it was in a powder rosin bag, nobody would ever check.

Gorilla Gold is the only grip enhancer approved by ASA, USSSA and all the alphabet soup organizations. It's because it doesn't turn the ball black the way other grip enhancers do like Pine tar and frim grip do for example. Gorilla Gold stays on the hand only, it doesn't really transfer to the ball.

If you have a young pitcher who says she doesn't like the feel she should learn to like it. Practice with the stuff, use it in pitching lessons, GET USED TO IT!! It will help them, TRUST ME. I didn't like using sticky stuff as a young pitcher either, then I kept noticing all the really great pitchers using it. This was no coincidence. So I worked out with it, practiced all I could with it, and it became a big part of my game. All anyone has to do is look at the numbers in MLB to see the difference. Pitchers are screaming bloody murder that they cannot "cheat" anymore. Look at their ball's spin rates and how the spin reduction without "cheating" has effected their pitching. Softball pitchers are allowed this benefit with Gorilla Gold and it's NOT cheating because it's legal. It's incomprehensible to think of a pitcher who throws movement pitches that wouldn't want this benefit. I didn't like the feel either, until I saw the benefits.

We are going through this with DD right now. Her PC brought it up to me and DD last year and essentially said the same thing. USE IT!! I'm a big fan of it and have been trying to get DD to start using it.

Jul 5, 2016
There were some discussions earlier about too many home runs. So, I can't imagine anybody wanting to make life harder for fastpitch pitchers at this point

Nov 18, 2015
Bill - can I ask where you found that information about USSSA? I still get confused about whether USSSA allows GG. Their rules explicitly allowed it (by name) in the 10th Edition (2010?):
"Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch."
but any reference to GG was removed by the 14th Edition (2017).

Both the 14th and 15th Editions (2020) now state the following:
"No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent."

And since the GG website uses tacky / tackiness / "tackifies" / etc. multiple times (ex. "Depending on the amount of tackiness, it can last a very short time or much longer"), I'm having a hard time convincing myself that USSSA is still saying GG is legal.

For reference - full text from 15th Edition, Rule 6.1.I, pg 35-36:
"Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. A pitcher who licks their fingers must wipe the fingers off before bringing them in contact with the ball.
1. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, the pitcher may use following items to dry the hand which is in contact with the ball: dirt (but not chalk), powdered resin, or an approved drying agent. When using these items, the pitcher is not required to wipe the hand prior to contacting the ball; when using any other substance, the pitcher must wipe the pitching hand prior to contacting the ball. No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent.​

No other player or team personnel shall apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball.​
It would be great if there was clarification directly from USSSA about this product, similar to the NFHS statement found in another thread. Or at least disclose their list of "approved drying agent(s)". I've yet to find anything via the internet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812