Pitcher/Scoring Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Sort of an awkward type question - rather not argue about the background but more the question in general. Background: USSSA ruleset. We are also a rec-level league that uses a modification of a 5-run limit per inning (for the first 6 innings of play).
My question concerns pitching stats/innings pitched with incompleted innings. Since we operate under this run-limit modification, how would you score innings pitched for a pitcher in an inning where the run limit is met before the 3rd out? Part of me feels like it'd be no different than scoring innings for a last-inning walkoff hit.

For example, Pitcher A has thrown 3 full innings. In the 4th, she has a bit of a meltdown and gives up the 5-run limit with only 1 out recorded. Would she get credit for throwing only 1/3rd of an inning (since only 1 out was recorded) or a full inning (since the run limit for the inning was reached)? Thanks!

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not sure why it matters, but I would treat it as a walkoff inning. If you get 1 out you pitched 1/3 inning

May 29, 2015
I would go the other direction ... the inning was completed under your league rules (3 outs OR 5 runs), thus it was a complete inning pitched.

I don’t know that there is an actual answer though.

Nov 18, 2015
GameChanger appears to treat it as a partial inning - not sure if iScore does the same.

I assume you’re using one of those (or a similar) scoring app. (If you’re doing this by hand for a rec league, I don’t know whether to say “God bless you”, or “you’re crazy, go get help”!)

While I can see both sides (whole inning / partial inning) - as canyonjoe alluded to - just go with whatever the app gives you. Trying to change it means you’d have to coordinate league- or team-wide to maintain consistency.

Not worth it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Good point Gags ... any automated app is going to default to 3 outs because it wasn’t programmed to recognize any other “end of inning” mechanism (5 runs, batted through the lineup, etc.)

Nov 18, 2015
Will add - see above if your just looking for stat keeping purposes.

If you’re trying to comply with rules regarding innings pitched - then the run limit would still be a full inning.

Or should be, at least, because I’m sure there’s some Dad out there that thinks they’re Tony LaRussa and they just found the Golden Loophole that will allow them to get their “ace” pitcher (aka daughter) on the mound for the third or fourth straight game of the day.

Nov 18, 2015
Good point Gags ... any automated app is going to default to 3 outs because it wasn’t programmed to recognize any other “end of inning” mechanism (5 runs, batted through the lineup, etc.)

TMIB - I think I was trying to say the opposite - I believe the apps treat it as partial innings.

It’s been a few months since I’ve scored a game in GC, but the option I used was something like “inning ended by scorekeeper”. Because when I look at the stats for this Spring, even if I didn’t swap a pitcher mid inning, some pitchers would still be showing a “.1” or “.2” for IP.

Jul 14, 2018
It’s been a few months since I’ve scored a game in GC, but the option I used was something like “inning ended by scorekeeper”. Because when I look at the stats for this Spring, even if I didn’t swap a pitcher mid inning, some pitchers would still be showing a “.1” or “.2” for IP.

Can confirm, DD's last game of the season was called on time, she got two outs in the circle and then the game ended, GameChanger gave her 2/3 of an inning.

I know keeping stats at 12U is a fool's errand, but there are some important things like number of pitchers per batter, first-pitch strikes, opponent batting average, and WHiP that are helpful to measure a pitcher's performance through a season. Giving a pitcher credit for a full inning when the game is stopped before recording three outs would mess up a few of those stats.

May 29, 2015
TMIB - I think I was trying to say the opposite - I believe the apps treat it as partial innings.

No, we were saying the same thing ... I just wasn’t clear. I meant it is going to use the 3-outs system (1/3 inning or .1, 2/3 inning or .2) because it doesn’t know anything else. I could be wrong as I don’t use the programs, but I can’t imagine the programmers accounted for those “house league” rules as ways to end an inning.

So while I would personally consider it a full inning pitched, I don’t think those programs can do that.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2015
I assume you’re using one of those (or a similar) scoring app. (If you’re doing this by hand for a rec league, I don’t know whether to say “God bless you”, or “you’re crazy, go get help”!)

I coach the team and do my own (paper) scorebook in the 3B box. Then I input the data into an Excel spreadsheet I set up years ago that calculates all the data for me (much like any electronic program would do. I'm a math teacher - I enjoy the process - yes, I am crazy, you have to be to get into public education these days.)

I feel like the idea of doing the partial inning since the inning didn't reach 3 outs, is the more likely way to go. I like my pitchers to know how they're doing with their stats (ERA, etc.) and I want to be as accurate for them as possible. And I enjoy the calculation process - again, I'm a teacher, so I like the work involved. It makes me feel as I'm combining two things I'm passionate about: teaching math and coaching softball. So anywhere I can combine the two, it's a good thing for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28