Pitcher & MIF-Time to choose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DD (14U) plays SS and pitcher. We've been taking her to pitching, batting, and fielding private lessons. Almost all the lessons are an hour away. 2 team practices a week (when there isn't a tournament) are also about an hour away. Adding in personal practices, and it is difficult to schedule everything in, not to mention taking off work early to get her to these places. (All private lesson must be scheduled a week at a time, as none of the coaches have a set schedule.)

Something got to give. She loves pitching, but she is also great at SS. We are also afraid that HC would prefer her to not play SS so she can focus on pitching. I haven't seen many pitchers who are also MIF, maybe there is a reason for this. She isn't tall, and she pitches at around 52mph right now (still 5' tall), but she can move the ball. Do you think it is time for her to give up pitching? Do college usually prefer pitchers not play IF?
Sounds very similar to one of my DD's at about that age...P/SS and did both well. Got on a very good team (playing up) and the Coach was very adamant about not having a pitcher playing MI due to the potential for injury (the Coach had experienced this personally as a college player). My DD started playing more OF and fell in love with that, especially CF, as a secondary position. You've gotten some great advice already on here.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Can she rake? Coaches want
Kids who can hit in the lineup. These are the pitchers who also play in the field. If she isn’t one of the top hitters on the team then coaches are less likely to want her to play in the field.

Jan 28, 2017
DD will be a sophomore and started at 2nd base as a freshman. She may never pitch much in HS since we have three very good pitchers in her grade. If she decides to and stays healthy she will have the opportunity to pitch at a small college. She will probably not have the opportunity to play middle infield in college. Makes it hard.

Jul 22, 2015
I'd have her pitch as long as she wants to. There isn't really any reason she needs to make a choice right now. That said, the only answer that is NOT right for a kid who is 5ft tall and throwing 52 is to move to pitcher only right now. If you can't make all of the commitments then you may need to drop some lessons, but not at the expense of stopping her work on other positions. If she develops as a pitcher then she can always go pitcher only in a few years.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She isn't tall, and she pitches at around 52mph right now (still 5' tall), but she can move the ball.

I doubt there is a 5'0" pitcher playing college softball at any level. Your DD will need to grow another 3 inches to even be considered to pitch.

Do you think it is time for her to give up pitching
It is doubtful she'll be able to pitch at the college level.

So, what does she want to do? If she wants to play HS, then she should continue the lessons and having fun.

If she wants to play college ball, she should be spending all of her time on hitting lessons.
Do college usually prefer pitchers not play IF?
A college will let pitchers play 1B, but that is it.

There are not enough hours in the day for a kid to practice pitching and IF (other than 1B).

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I doubt there is a 5'0" pitcher playing college softball at any level. Your DD will need to grow another 3 inches to even be considered to pitch.

So, what does she want to do? If she wants to play HS, then she should continue the lessons and having fun.

If she wants to play college ball, she should be spending all of her time on hitting lessons.

There are not enough hours in the day for a kid to practice pitching and IF (other than 1B).
Harsh truth. 52 mph ??? Unless dad is 6 ft and you are 5' 7" and there is a huge growth spurt
coming then its time to focus on hitting.

May 21, 2018
Kylie Bass was listed as 5'-0" when she pitched for Georgia, and I if I remember correctly Cal had a girl pitching at 5'-0" a couple years ago, so it is possible, just a bit of a long shot. I worry about my DD being overlooked at 5'-8".

Edit: Zoe Conley was the pitcher from Cal. Great change up

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Kylie Bass was listed as 5'-0" when she pitched for Georgia, and I if I remember correctly Cal had a girl pitching at 5'-0" a couple years ago, so it is possible, just a bit of a long shot. I worry about my DD being overlooked at 5'-8".
I immediately thought of Bass when this thread started. I believe she started at a Juco then transferred. She was quite the spinner. BUT she is an anomaly. There was a player at USF that was under 5' that was their starting 3B. I snapped pic of her in the batter's box next to a 5'11" catcher, who later became DD's private hitting/catcher coach.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Don't listen to these old naysayers Beeg...let your DD pursue her dreams with the firm belief she can do anything. She'll figure it out one way or another, sooner or later. In the meantime keep believing in her!

*Edited to add - The OP says his DD is playing 14U which doesn't mean she is 14 as you all should know. My DD's were 12 playing at 14U and grew quite a bit during that time period.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Its a good thing there are choices.
That said
Thats a broad statement of what colleges will or will not do...(only 1st base comment,)
and is incorrect.

*Build muscle strength with the size body she has!

There are plenty of colleges that will pick up utility players that can also pitch. Or pitchers that can also be a utility.
I do agree with keeping hitting going and make sure that looks as gorgeous as possible.

Tons of D3's utilize all sorts of talent!
There are also great talent on D1's who are under 5'3.
Think it was Arizona had a very short player who crushed it! Under 5 foot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28