Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2022
I guess I see it a little differently. The girls work too hard at their skills to have a competitive disadvantage due to a rules infraction in the state tournament. I would never make a scene at a game, I stay far away from the benches/backstop and never bark at the umps. I don’t hover at practices and I don’t contact the coach about playing time or other decisions. I don’t question scoring decisions either. I talk to my DD about her good plays, never the bad ones. But I might say something to the coach beforehand about a hopper and let her handle it. Maybe not, not sure. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. If you do, that’s a reasonable point of disagreement. Yes, I should have searched the prior discussions.

Nov 3, 2022
btw, we are a northeast state, not a hotbed softball environment. Yes, for sure it’s about having fun. But even up here the girls would say (specifically, my DD has said), the competition is the fun part. Winning is not everything, for sure the whole experience is, but these girls have a competitive drive and spirit, too. Healthy, not crazy.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
So, 20 sets of regular season umps, 3 or 4 sets of conference tournament umps (3 or 4 man crews), and she hasn’t been called on it, but your super slow video is going to crack the case for states? I think your original statement “it’s hard to see live” means it will continue to be hard to see live, and therefore not be called.

Good luck in states, ours starts tomorrow…

May 13, 2023
I guess I see it a little differently. The girls work too hard at their skills to have a competitive disadvantage due to a rules infraction in the state tournament.
How do you explain when a team beats a pitcher who you think is having a competitive advantage by a rule infraction?

Jan 22, 2011
If it's a leap, she is wasting energy in the vertical direction, so I wouldn't complain. If it's a crow hop with her replanting a foot+ closer to the batter and pushing off again, the umpire should call it.

As I've said before, I thanked the umpire and coach who called two illegal pitches on my daughter for a fairly insignificant leap when she was 11 because she worked really hard on fixing it over the next week or so and picked up 1 mph in speed.

Though, I don't understand why it was the plate umpire calling it, not the base umpire.

BTW, my DD got her revenge and hit a walk-off double to win the championship game against that team by mercy rule.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021
I am a 22 year varsity highschool head coach. The pitch is illegal as the drag foot must be in contact with the ground. Talk to the umps before the game and mention that it’s a concern and you would be grateful if they watch for ut

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478