Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2022
Are you guys in the box?! Coaches should start teaching this if it’s not going to be called. Maybe they do. Thx for the info, sounds like this has been covered prior. I’m disappointed but enlightened.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We play per NFHS. Rule book is on-line but costs $. I’m surprised there would be a distinction between a crow hop (with a second push) vs “just” a leap. If you’re leaping, your back foot has to come down and push off again. You can’t release the ball with feet in the air. Is the second push a lot? A little? Does it matter? If not already, the rule should be you have to maintain contact with the ground, then there would be no ambiguity and no significant unfair advantage.
A crow hop typically the back foot lands and pushes again before the front foot lands. On a leap it’s either front foot first or simultaneous .

May 29, 2015
We play per NFHS. Rule book is on-line but costs $. I’m surprised there would be a distinction between a crow hop (with a second push) vs “just” a leap. If you’re leaping, your back foot has to come down and push off again. You can’t release the ball with feet in the air. Is the second push a lot? A little? Does it matter? If not already, the rule should be you have to maintain contact with the ground, then there would be no ambiguity and no significant unfair advantage.

In common parlance you may think of them as the same, but the two are very distinct things with specific definitions in the rule book. Here is the NFHS language (sorry for the page break):

1685219127216.png
1685219153882.png
1685219209633.png

Note that many people keep saying "and a push" when talking about a crow hop. Not necessary. It is a simple replant.

For codes that are now allowing leaping, to do it legally either the front foot has to land first or both feet land simultaneously. If the back foot hits first, it is a crow hop. Note: This is my interpretation. I have not received any specific training, nor have I even called USA or USSSA since they began allowing it.

Nov 3, 2022
Thanks for the actual language! So they are both illegal, clearly. But apparently not called regularly. If we face her in the tourney I’ll send the videos to our coach and have her decide how to proceed. Thanks so much!

Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for the actual language! So they are both illegal, clearly. But apparently not called regularly. If we face her in the tourney I’ll send the videos to our coach and have her decide how to proceed. Thanks so much!

So you aren’t a coach? What you should do is sit in the stands and cheer for your team. Let the coaches coach, the kids play, and the umpires make the calls. No need to get involved where you don’t belong. The game would be so much better if parents/fans understood this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2015
Wow. Funny how message boards are so mean. Always. Bizarre world we live in really.

My comment was not intended to be mean. If you are a parent or a fan don’t try to be part of the game. Cheer for your team/player and let the kids have fun. If your coach is any good, he feels the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478