Pitcher gestures/ body language

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Smiling when she doesn't get a call should be the only emotion a pitcher shows. She knows she threw a strike and so does the catcher. DD2 has done this since 10's and is now in 18's. Just shows she is being "light" and not letting it affect her.

Jul 13, 2020
Smiling when she doesn't get a call should be the only emotion a pitcher shows. She knows she threw a strike and so does the catcher. DD2 has done this since 10's and is now in 18's. Just shows she is being "light" and not letting it affect her.
Yes. She knows she a great pitcher. She doesn't let anythingto to her. She's been pitching since she was 8, and she'll be 13 this year. We will be moving up to 14u this fall. And the pitcher and catcher are spot on. Catcher calls the sign, pitcher throws it. Catcher even comes to my daughter's pitching lessons every week, so they can get more of just catching and pitching together. And practice 2 times a week.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Over emotion and ejections are synonymous with each other.

12u being bratty or blue being crappy?

Coaches have to get checked on that from time to time.

Without seeing video hard to comment on this instance.

Jul 13, 2020
Over emotion and ejections are synonymous with each other.

12u being bratty or blue being crappy?

Coaches have to get checked on that from time to time.

Without seeing video hard to comment on this instance.
I can assure you it was a ump being crappy.

Apr 28, 2014
I've been recording all of DDs games since 12u. Probably 450 games.
I remember one game when she was in first year 18u. Was pitching well and didn't get 2 or 3 strikes in a row. We were rolling a bad team and I think the ump was trying to challenge her to throw a little more fat. Not ideal but a few more fat would not have changed the outcome. DD displayed bad body language then smirked. I was mortified. I knew what he was trying to do and she was disrespectful towards him. He didn't say anything nor did her coach. I didn't after the game either but a few days later I showed her that video and she was embarrassed. Told her never again.
She hasn't since and I think she learned her lesson.
Hope your DD doesn't get squeezed again but it will happen, she will work through it and it will make her better!

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
You arent exactly an impartial judge being that it is your own daughter you are talking about. None of us can make any determination as to if the ump was being out of line or not without actually having been there to see it ourselves.

Exactly... the story was in the original post that she made a hand gesture and smiled and was frustrated.

Now... it was just a smile.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Can a ump eject a pitcher for body language /gesture/or facial expression. My daughter is a 12u pitcher. This past weekend she had a ump warn her and threatened to ejected her cause he said she was taunting him over his calls. He even told the coach that he would not call another strike even if they were, till she stopped taunting him. I seen the whole game, one time she did a small hand gesture, she might have smiled. She was frustrated at that point cause she was right down the middle and he still called them balls.
Yes, definitely can will get tossed, especially if she is warned. I suspect that there is more to this story. Smiling is no different than using than using the term "Bless your heart." It is all about the context. This is part of maturing as a pitcher. While it may be over the top at 12U, as she gets older there will be less tolerance for that type of behavior. This is one of the life lessons that the game provides.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28