Pitcher gestures/ body language

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Local Ump comes over and tells me I'm not going to put up with your pitcher showing me up. The kid has always been emotional but not over the top. I tell him you have done this every game she has pitched for two years, do yourself and her a favor and sent her to the swings in RF but by the way you did miss three calls that inning.

In HS summer league the a different Ump that is awesome comes over and goes I missed that one, it surprised me with great movement. What can you say?

Neither my DD.

Feb 15, 2017
She was never warned before he said he was going to toss her if she done it again. I mean if you dont warn them, they cant correct their mistake.
How about the parent and coach teach the pitcher that type of behavior is unacceptable from the get go? These types of things don't happend once. It's behavior that is tolerated or it wouldn't happen in a game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2020
How about the parent and coach teach the pitcher that type of behavior is unacceptable from the get go? These types of things don't happend once. It's behavior that is tolerated or it wouldn't happen in a game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes it can just happen once. But she learned her lesson, not to show emotion on the plate. Cause not all umps are the same. And not all umps are great

Jul 13, 2020
To be fair, and I am not on either side I am just following the discussion as an interested party, was that not him warning her?

I would contend, telling a player "If you keep doing what you are doing i will eject you," certainly is a warning.

How many warnings is necessary?

"Stop that."
"Stop that."
"Stop it. I really mean it this time."
"Don't do it again or you are out of the game."

Yeah, there are poor umpires. There are umpires with poor attitudes (same as there are coaches and players). At the end of the day, it is an umpires job to keep control of a game as much as it is to call balls and strikes.

I've seen officials in soccer and basketball who were complete dog crap at keeping control of the game. In basketball (elementary school age) that essentially let a coach abuse and verbally bully opposing players and the timekeeper/score keeper. In soccer (9U) referees do nothing about violent conduct that for all intents and purposes would have been a straight red card resulting in an an ejection and suspension. And it was more than once in a game.
He was already calling her strikes balls to prove a point. Before he had warned her. Buts lesson learned on her part to not show emotion

Apr 11, 2016
dd's pitching instructor routinely spoke of game face.
Any other face your not in the game.
Its as much a poker face as it is unbreakable.
DD shows no emotion when she pitches, whether her team is winning or losing, whether she just walked 2 batters in a row (very rare) or striked out 2 in a row. No expression. One coach even came up to me and asked me why DD looks so stern when the team is winning. She's been like that since she was in 8U.

The only time she ever looked frustrated was when her teammates made 7 errors in a row. Yes, that was a bad team. They couldn't catch an easy fly ball or ground ball for the life of them, and these girls were all a year ahead of her.

It helped we play poker quite a lot at home. She usually is a goofy kid but knows how to keep her straight face when she needs to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom