Pitcher gestures/ body language

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
She was frustrated at that point cause she was right down the middle and he still called them balls.
Pitchers & all of us participating,
need to deal with umpires and their different opinions on the 'area called the strikezone'.

What hand gesture did she make?
๐Ÿ‘Žโ˜๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘Œ
Could piss off more than just the umpire !

Jun 8, 2016
need to deal with umpires and their different opinions on the 'area called the strikezone'.

๐Ÿ‘Žโ˜๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘Œ
I think I may have used this one a few times:
gettyimages-165587123-1024x1024.jpg

Jul 13, 2020

๐Ÿ‘Žโ˜๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘Œ
Lol it was just a hand to the side, like come on. Lol but reason learn for her, not to show emotion in the game

Jul 13, 2020
Yes, definitely can will get tossed, especially if she is warned. I suspect that there is more to this story. Smiling is no different than using than using the term "Bless your heart." It is all about the context. This is part of maturing as a pitcher. While it may be over the top at 12U, as she gets older there will be less tolerance for that type of behavior. This is one of the life lessons that the game provides.
She was never warned before he said he was going to toss her if she done it again. I mean if you dont warn them, they cant correct their mistake.

Apr 26, 2019
She was never warned before he said he was going to toss her if she done it again. I mean if you dont warn them, they cant correct their mistake.
To be fair, and I am not on either side I am just following the discussion as an interested party, was that not him warning her?

I would contend, telling a player "If you keep doing what you are doing i will eject you," certainly is a warning.

How many warnings is necessary?

"Stop that."
"Stop that."
"Stop it. I really mean it this time."
"Don't do it again or you are out of the game."

Yeah, there are poor umpires. There are umpires with poor attitudes (same as there are coaches and players). At the end of the day, it is an umpires job to keep control of a game as much as it is to call balls and strikes.

I've seen officials in soccer and basketball who were complete dog crap at keeping control of the game. In basketball (elementary school age) that essentially let a coach abuse and verbally bully opposing players and the timekeeper/score keeper. In soccer (9U) referees do nothing about violent conduct that for all intents and purposes would have been a straight red card resulting in an an ejection and suspension. And it was more than once in a game.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
To be fair, and I am not on either side I am just following the discussion as an interested party, was that not him warning her?

I would contend, telling a player "If you keep doing what you are doing i will eject you," certainly is a warning.

How many warnings is necessary?

"Stop that."
"Stop that."
"Stop it. I really mean it this time."
"Don't do it again or you are out of the game."

Yeah, there are poor umpires. There are umpires with poor attitudes (same as there are coaches and players). At the end of the day, it is an umpires job to keep control of a game as much as it is to call balls and strikes.

I've seen officials in soccer and basketball who were complete dog crap at keeping control of the game. In basketball (elementary school age) that essentially let a coach abuse and verbally bully opposing players and the timekeeper/score keeper. In soccer (9U) referees do nothing about violent conduct that for all intents and purposes would have been a straight red card resulting in an an ejection and suspension. And it was more than once in a game.

Agree 100%. I am a soccer referee. While yes an official can give warnings and have a talk with a player when they do something this is out of line, there are also things that are straight ejections no questions asked, no quarter given.

May 29, 2015
Going to stay away from whether this is a biased OP and just going to talk about ejections and player body language.

Yes, body language can get you tossed. As an umpire I try to take into account whether it is an action or a reaction. If you don't get a close call (or even if I miss it), I expect you to react. Quick emotion, get it out. Toss the hand to the side, drop the jaw, shake your head. Just get it out of your system fast.

Keep carrying on and it becomes an action. An action is directed and a conscious effort. Now we start having an issue. Turn around and keep carrying on AFTER you have reacted, continue to act that way pitch after pitch, make a spectacle out of what you are doing ... you are working an early shower.

I know an umpire AND the catcher this happened to ... but a few seasons ago we had an umpire eject a catcher for not tucking her jersey in. Before I say any more on that ... what are your thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog