Pitcher backswing question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This Japanese pitcher seems to have a great no back swing technique. Looks like what we do when we are walking and the right hand moves in conjunction with the left foot.

Aug 21, 2008
This Japanese pitcher seems to have a great no back swing technique. Looks like what we do when we are walking and the right hand moves in conjunction with the left foot.

Was this sarcasm? Or, You don't see a backswing there on the Japanese pitcher? I see it plain as day, it's not as exaggerated as Amanda Scarborough for example but, its there. In fact, in this pitcher's case, it's a minimal backswing and it's almost as if she's dropping out of her glove for no good reason except to show the batter the grip on the ball. And like almost all pitchers who drop out or do a backswing, she's not using her glove hand or glove side of her body to help her push forward.

I just don't understand why so many ladies do this backswing. What do they think their gaining? I'm going to estimate that 99% of pitching coaches will agree that the power in pitching comes from the legs. Not the arm, not the shoulder, but the legs. How can someone get the most thrust off the rubber and the most out of their legs if they're only using 1 arm for momentum? I simply don't understand.

Bill

May 21, 2018
I'm guessing he was referring to the actual Japanese pitcher. Not to Monica Abbot.

Aug 21, 2008
So was I. I didn't watch the whole game but I was referring to the pitcher who started the game (opposite Abbott).

Aug 21, 2008
I hadn't seen Monica pitch in a long time. Her motion looks different than I remember, I wonder why she does all that start/stop in her delivery. She physically stops twice during her wind up. I wonder if that's a conscience thing or not, and if so, what's the point of it?

Aug 20, 2017
I hadn't seen Monica pitch in a long time. Her motion looks different than I remember, I wonder why she does all that start/stop in her delivery. She physically stops twice during her wind up. I wonder if that's a conscience thing or not, and if so, what's the point of it?
I think she is attempting to throw the hitters timing off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23