Pitcher backswing question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Have been playing around with my daughters backswing, and have a question. Do you think it makes any difference if the hand is in front of the ball during the backswing or if the hand is behind the ball during the backswing?

From watching video, I see some pretty high level pitchers that all do it differently.

In this video the top of Monica Abbot's hand is in front of the ball as it come past her waist the first time in this video.

In this video the bottom of Ueno's hand is behind the ball the first time it comes around her waist.

Kelly Barnhill video. Her hand is behind the ball in this video during the backswing. Can we keep this thread about the backswing, and not get sidetracked about the commentary of this video or sidetracked about other mechanics of this video, please.

The reason for playing around with my daughter's backswing is to try to find a backswing that is more consistent. My daughter's backswing has always been inconsistent with the top of her hand in front of the ball during the backswing. We recently changed the backswing to where the bottom of the hand is behind the ball and so far the backswing seems to be much more consistent. Not sure why but her spin is much better with the backswing when the bottom of her hand is behind the ball.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Aug 21, 2008
Have been playing around with my daughters backswing, and have a question. Do you think it makes any difference if the hand is in front of the ball during the backswing or if the hand is behind the ball during the backswing?

From watching video, I see some pretty high level pitchers that all do it differently.

In this video the top of Monica Abbot's hand is in front of the ball as it come past her waist the first time in this video.

In this video the bottom of Ueno's hand is behind the ball the first time it comes around her waist.

Kelly Barnhill video. Her hand is behind the ball in this video during the backswing. Can we keep this thread about the backswing, and not get sidetracked about the commentary of this video or sidetracked about other mechanics of this video, please.

The reason for playing around with my daughter's backswing is to try to find a backswing that is more consistent. My daughter's backswing has always been inconsistent with the top of her hand in front of the ball during the backswing. We recently changed the backswing to where the bottom of the hand is behind the ball and so far the backswing seems to be much more consistent. Not sure why but her spin is much better with the backswing when the bottom of her hand is behind the ball.

Not to be rude by answering a question with a question but, if the backswing is making her inconsistent, why have one at all?

The glaring and obvious difference to me from the examples you showed is showing the grip of the ball to the hitter. From day 1 hitters are trained to focus on the pitcher's hit where the ball is released. When someone swings their hand back, the hitter gets 2 shots at seeing the ball and grip before it's released. I'm not in the habit of helping the hitter if I can avoid it. Anyway, I'm curious if you think this backswing is an ABSOLUTE or a STYLE for your daughter.

Bill

Apr 12, 2019

My DD had been taught to keep the back of hand toward catcher on backswing.
With that said, she dropped the backswing a month ago after we observed her favorite pitcher, Miranda Elish had stopped using a backswing. Then we noticed the majority of D1 pitchers we watch are not using one.
I like the pitch without, because it actually decreases the time the pitcher takes to deliver the ball. From my perspective, the batter has less opportunity to time pitches without a long pre-motion.
Additionally, the backswing was wasting energy and creating issues with mechanics. Arm circle and swim.

Jan 17, 2020
Dd has worked with a very good PC. She was told to lead with her knuckles forward. She had a hard time being consistent with that so she stopped using a back swing. Had everything to do with keeping a forward arm circle instead of an outward arm circle (ball was going behind her back). She recently switched to ball in glove up to 3 o'clock. Her back swing was causing more harm than good.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, knuckles towards the catcher. Brush forearm against hip and upper arm against the ribs going back and coming forward. DD has never used a backswing. Hillhouse DVD's were our start and well worth it. My only concern with no backswing is sometimes my DD gets lazy driving her glove and ball towards the catcher which makes her arm speed slow.

Aug 21, 2008
My only concern with no backswing is sometimes my DD gets lazy driving her glove and ball towards the catcher which makes her arm speed slow.

And with a backswing 99% of kids don't use the glove hand AT ALL for the push forward, nevermind it being a lazy push. I'd take a lazy push vs. no push at all.

Oct 4, 2018
If you're of the mind that at 12:00 the ball should face the catcher, it feels much more natural to do the backswing with the hand facing the catcher. Try it.

We still use a backswing. No 10 year old we play is going to read the pitch/grip. :) I've tried doing it and it's not easy. I believe those who say better/older hitters can read a grip on a backswing, but I'm not concerned about that much (at 10U), to be honest. Much, much more concerned with mechanics and for now the backswing is part of her pitch and it works.

... and of course we know of dozens of top pitchers who use a backswing. I'm in the "whichever works best for you" camp on this one.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Not to be rude by answering a question with a question but, if the backswing is making her inconsistent, why have one at all?

The glaring and obvious difference to me from the examples you showed is showing the grip of the ball to the hitter. From day 1 hitters are trained to focus on the pitcher's hit where the ball is released. When someone swings their hand back, the hitter gets 2 shots at seeing the ball and grip before it's released. I'm not in the habit of helping the hitter if I can avoid it. Anyway, I'm curious if you think this backswing is an ABSOLUTE or a STYLE for your daughter.

Bill

Not rude at all and a good question. She is currently loosing about 3-4mph without any backswing. I am not a person that thinks the backswing actually adds speed but she does get some kind of timing mechanism from the backswing that allows her to throw harder.

I do not think the backswing is an absolute. Too many great pitchers do different pre-motions differently for the backswing to be an absolute.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802