Pitch Tracker from Diamond Kinetics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Still all sold out...
Saw it in action today at the KY clinic with Coach Pauly... I love it. It showed axis, spin rate, and speed.
The speed was within 2 mph of my pocket radar and the spin was on par with my Revfire!
Seems like a great alternative to $3000 on a Rhapsoto

Jun 18, 2014
I came here wanting to know the same. It seemed pretty cheap and actually shows spin direction on the pitch. Wondering if anyone knows how accurate it is. If it works I feel like I should have held off on the revfire.
Not sure if you purchased yet, but I am find that the velocity is way off. I have another person that has purchased and they too are having trouble getting a true accurate reading for velocity. It also looses connectivity randomly and misses pitches at times. I am not liking yet. We have tried 3x on getting it accurate but have not had luck.

Jul 1, 2019
Not sure if you purchased yet, but I am find that the velocity is way off. I have another person that has purchased and they too are having trouble getting a true accurate reading for velocity. It also looses connectivity randomly and misses pitches at times. I am not liking yet. We have tried 3x on getting it accurate but have not had luck.

We've had the issue once or twice with it losing connection and missing a pitch. Power off ball then back on and worked great for rest of session. As for speed, I've used my pocket radar to check and out of 100 pitches over the past month or so, I've only had 2 pitches that were more than a few tenths different while I was comparing. There have been a couple that seemed off but I didn't have the radar on for those particular pitches. That being said, I heard there was a recent update to the software (not sure if app or ball) that could make the speed issue your talking about. Ours is literally a month old so it didn't need the update or whatever.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I had mentioned on the other thread about the update. I cannot recall if I did an update on the app, but i think so, the versions are 2.0.0 (14) for app and Hardware 6.5/Firmware 8.6.5 for the ball. Is working very consistently now and speed seems to be accurate as HighStrung mentioned.

Jul 31, 2019
I've purchased the pitch tracker about two weeks ago and posted my results in "another tech ball to put on our Christmas list?" on this forum (Last post was Nov. 29). Ball quality is good and it seems perfectly balanced but you do need to charge it occasionally, unlike the Revfire. What I can tell you is that I tested with my DD and she threw 10 Fastballs, 10 Rise and 10 Changeups. All the changeups registered a spin rate and spin direction. Of the 20 fastballs and riseballs, only 14 registered a spin rate and only 7 of 20 registered a spin location. The initial testing was done in my basement at about 40 ft. I meant to update the results from a gym session last week but my buddy broke a window on the second pitch so I put the ball away and pulled out my jugs softie when the custodian investigated :) Spin rate and spin direction are only available with a $10 / month subscription (damn fine print!) but it comes with a 14 day trial. The spin rates seems pretty accurate but from my perspective, the spin direction is 2D only and gives you reading from a clock (i.e. 6:27) and a visual. I'm hoping that they plan on adding a 3rd dimension to the readout but the site has been down for two weeks so I can't find any information on it. I'll post an update next time I get the ball out in a bigger area. It's a little cold here in the north to pitch outside!

All the data is transferred after each pitch to an app on my iphone. Not sure if they support android or not.

Just a couple of comments. For velocity, your cell phone has to be properly located at the plate, and pitching distance correct.

When I asked the rep what does it mean when the response after a pitch says GYRO, and he said it means bullet spin

The 2020 balls are supposed to be slightly lighter to get closer to an actual ball weight. Current balls run on the high end of weight.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I only use mine for checking RPM. It only reads one axis of spin which is a bummer. I wish it would register tosses from half distance and slower speeds for kids (and me) to be able to tinker with grips and release cues.

Jul 1, 2019
I only use mine for checking RPM. It only reads one axis of spin which is a bummer. I wish it would register tosses from half distance and slower speeds for kids (and me) to be able to tinker with grips and release cues.
I agree that this is still a limiting factor with this ball, but I'm assuming that's why Rapsodo costs more too. I was working with DD on her curveball a few days ago. It's still very "in development", and sometimes she turns her wrist over and gets some bullet spin. As mentioned before, this is registered as gyro on the readout. I'm not sure what axis angle the ball has to be at before "gyro" turns into a direction on the clock display. Sure, straight forward axis bullet spin is gyro, but there were several times it registered gyro when in fact the axis angle was probably closer to 45° forward tilt. The pitch had very noticeable movement, and a good amount of it because her spin rate was really good, but I'd love to be able to really see that spin effectiveness data that Rapsodo features. Obviously we're going for a vertical axis for true 9-3 spin, and she gets close sometimes but more often I'd guess her to be anywhere from 45-65° forward tilt. They all move, just not super consistent in the spins effectiveness (yet).

I wish this ball had that 2nd axis so we (she) could see the changes she's making and how they affect that forward tilt, and I agree that being able to use it with short toss/low speeds would've been super helpful in the early stages of learning movement pitches. I can see the difference in her pitches while catching her, but without real data it's hard to 100% accurate, and even harder for "her" to see the real results. It's more of a "ahh, that looked a little better" or "nope, that was more bullet, last time looked better" as she's trying to dial in her mechanics.

With all that being said, for a $100 ball and approx $90 annual membership, it's still way better than anything we had access to for regular personal use before and in my limited (1 month) experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Along with the DK, I'd suggest getting or making one of these balls to help you/her see spin better. The instant visual feedback is great and will translate to being able to see spin better with an unmarked ball.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.08.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.08.02 PM.png

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Yes I did. And, I did a short testing with various radars.

edit...video not attaching.

Attachments

• Radar Readings.JPG
    Radar Readings.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 73

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802