Pitch recognition apps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2019
"Slow the Game Down" is visual skills training started by Dr. Bill Harrison in 1970s. Used then by George Brett and other ML hitters, and still used. "Fastpitch-IQ" (gameSense Sports) is Pitch Recognition training. PR and vision both really important to hitting. Great plan is to cross-train; switch off between vision and PR training. Mix in with bullpen stand-in to call pitches.

May 3, 2019
This video just shows the Fastpitch-IQ app (gameSense Sports) without my prof's lecture. The lecture is to show how the "video-occlusion" (video of pitches cut off) is deep science -- even though it is a Twitter-simple training app. Other products include uHit for tracking (but doesn't show a pitcher) and Slow-The-Game-Down for vision (but doesn't show pitchers). Also Virtual Reality that shows 3D but not real pitchers. That's the gS thing. Real pitchers, real pitches. 15 min/day = 100 pitches; 500 pitches/week; 2000 pitches/mo; 25,000 pitches training hard for a year.

May 3, 2019
So much great SB on TV now! So much great pitching. Parents, players, coaches, instructors -- if you want your hitter to have her best chance you better start working on Pitch Recognition! No matter how great her swing, you need to recognize the pitch out of hand on this level pitcher in order to have any chance at all. Hit like you know what's coming! Use my app (gameSense), or use uHit (deCervo), or work your eyes with Slow the Game Down. Or maybe even do all of them. But -- and this is the challenge -- even if she doesn't need Pitch Recognition to succeed now, prepare for Next Level!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1b49873fc78d2e71eb9f932905a78d8ce7d067c9_wtatmm2bt_4.jpg

Highly proven app

May 3, 2019
1b49873fc78d2e71eb9f932905a78d8ce7d067c9_wtatmm2bt_4.jpg

Highly proven app
Indeed, pitching machine is a highly proven PART-TASK app. Combine with newer but also highly proven video Pitch Recognition PART-TASK (emphasis, not yelling). To suggest that one is better than the other is like saying weightlifting is better than cardio. Smart money does both!

Sep 29, 2014
I wonder if this could be integrated with a high quality pitching machine where the pitcher would throw a drop or curve and that is what would come out of the machine....probably already been done but just curious.

May 3, 2019
I wonder if this could be integrated with a high quality pitching machine where the pitcher would throw a drop or curve and that is what would come out of the machine....probably already been done but just curious.
Pro Batter and Joyner Technologies (All-Star) have Video Pitching Machine Simulators. Mostly in softball facilities. Batting cage with Projection Screen in front of a programmable pitching machine. Image of a pitcher projected onto screen, and timed with windup so ball comes through a hole in the screen. But video doesn't change for the type of pitch.
Others can comment on effectiveness.

May 3, 2019
The video-occlusion method is proven. Batters watch video of a pitcher from close to a batters' view. The video shows a pitcher windup and release the pitch, and about one-third of ball flight. Then the video is cut to black and the hitter needs to guess the Type of pitch (Drop, rise etc) and Ball or Strike.

Video-occlusion method has been used by sports science researchers for about 40 years to study faster-than-possible sports performances, such as goalie, return-of-serve, and baseball/softball/cricket batting. The method proves that elite performers anticipate from the opponents' actions.

Video-occlusion training is proven to improve the batting stats of baseball teams that train with it. Peer-review studies (I have a couple posted on peterfadde.com website). No studies of team training in Softball yet.

It's very difficult to "prove" effects with individual players because so many other factors effect performance. But I did a study with 3 college softball hitters training PR. Two had modest improvements (not statistically significant). The 3rd hitter improved BA from .218 to .284 and Slugging from .346 to .613, and led the conference in HR and RBI senior year (after being a defense-first CF for 3 years). So it was the right thing for that hitter -- not all hitters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2