Pitch recognition apps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Anybody tried them? Which ones are the best? Gamesense?
I mean we spend $300 plus on a bat. What is 13 bucks to try it out for a month. Here's their spiel:

Fastpitch IQ
In 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week you get 1,000 pitches from top-grade professional, college, and travel pitchers. Every pitch you decide: Drop or Curve? Ball or Strike? Until you don't think about it -- you just "see the ball and hit the ball."
No more guess hitting. Train Your Pitch Recognition & Reaction Time.
We'll track your progress and rank you against other players.
Train - Test - Track Progress - Improve

Jul 4, 2012
I'll play... Not seen this App and can't find it on Google play.

When I was a BB player, my most influential coach said pitch recognition was subconscious. He would go, FB, CB, CU in the cage over and over and then end the session with a "you don't know what's coming" round and it worked for me. I couldn't put into words the spin or anything else about the pitch, just did my best to subconsciously recognize if that makes sense. So, fast forward 30 years, and I'm doing the same thing in FP. Can't say the method works for everyone, but it seems to work for most.

Curious to know how others teach it.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I've only briefly looked into Gamesense. It for sure interests me, but I just haven't spent enough time going through it.

May 3, 2019
Great to have interest in gameSense to train pitch recognition. It's a computer app (web or iPhone/iPad -- no Android) that's very simple. But the video-occlusion method has been used by sport science researchers for decades -- I just turned it into training app. Hitter watches batters view videos of real pitchers (not VR) throwing pitches. Pitches are cut off, hitter guesses Pitch Type and Ball/Strike. Over and over and over and over. With immediate feedback and progressive difficulty. 10 pitchers per drill. 15 minutes = 100 pitches. No bells or whistles. It's challenging, but it's a training tool not a game.

May 3, 2019
This is a great way to work on Pitch Recognition. It's Implicit learning that's not conscious. Set it up so the hitters' eyes and brain and body can figure it out. First tell them what's coming, then make them guess. My gameSense app that folks asked about pairs up really well with this kind of cage drills.

May 3, 2019
If folks are interested in the science behind video-occlusion approach, check out this coaches clinic video on: Next Level Hitting by Training Pitch Recognition:

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If I may. The presentation is too fast. We (I) want it slowed down. I want to play. You jump threw / through it so fast that it is hard to follow. How does yours compare to the other apps?

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Looks interesting...haven't used it.
I do use some of the "slow the game down" stuff and will continue to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee