Pitch count for a day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My own take is that kids shouldn't pitch more than 3 games over a weekend.

The overworking of college pitchers is really a disgrace. Pitchers should be limited in the CWS. Pitching the same pitcher day after day after day in those intense games is Neanderthal.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
No, just game pitches. And today was back to back to back in the heat. She wasn't supposed to throw the second game, but we were down 10-1 after 1.1, so she came in and ended up throwing 53 after throwing 68. Then another 57 starting the third game. I pointed her count to her coach (just so she knew because we don't have anyone tracking it) and the coach pulled her (I wasn't trying to get her pulled, but i wanted them to be aware because bracket play is tomorrow and it's her first game pitching since March). My DD was furious because she was pitching fine and it was a three-run game. The other pitcher got shellacked.

The coach and I are good pals, and I told her I wasn't trying to coach, but I keep score and I figure stuff like that is my job. She thanked me, but I felt bad. And I really wasn't trying to tell her what to do, but I thought I probably overstepped so i thought I'd ask y'all what you thought.
I didn't read the whole thread just got to this one. The coach is an idiot. This is TB and somebody should be charting/counting pitches. Heat is real. Mechanics fall apart and then they get hurt.

Mar 10, 2020
My own take is that kids shouldn't pitch more than 3 games over a weekend.

The overworking of college pitchers is really a disgrace. Pitchers should be limited in the CWS. Pitching the same pitcher day after day after day in those intense games is Neanderthal.
When you start coaching D1 and make it to the CWS you can divvy out the pitchers innings.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When you start coaching D1 and make it to the CWS you can divvy out the pitchers innings.

Such hostility.

Every orthopedic surgeon says pitching innings should be limited. College baseball coaches limit their pitchers. But, not softball coaches.

It is sad. It takes away from the sport. Part of the fun of baseball is pitching matchups and changing lineups to take advantage of the other teams pitchers.

College softball is the sport version of Orwell's Animal Farm. Softball finally got a seat at the table with the rest of the major college sports, and it mistreats its athletes worse than the others.

Jun 8, 2016
Such hostility.

Every orthopedic surgeon says pitching innings should be limited. College baseball coaches limit their pitchers. But, not softball coaches.

It is sad. It takes away from the sport. Part of the fun of baseball is pitching matchups and changing lineups to take advantage of the other teams pitchers.

College softball is the sport version of Orwell's Animal Farm. Softball finally got a seat at the table with the rest of the major college sports, and it mistreats its athletes worse than the others.
I guess you didn't get the memo AGAIN..unless you are Patti Gasso you are not allowed to give your opinion, informed or not, ;)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Two 4-hit 100-pitch shutouts.

Game 1: Spotting 2 of her 3 pitches well. Gives up 2 singles; 1 double and a triple all with 2 outs. Strikeouts last batter on a 2-2 pitch; leaps in the air with a fist pump and sprints to the dugout. Like a walk in the park.

Game 2: Spotting 1 of her 3 pitches well most of the time. Gives up 2 singles; 1 double and a triple leading off 4 of the innings. Strikeouts last batter on a 2-2 pitch; leaps in the air with a fist pump; body and mind shut down as she walks to the dugout.

Is game 2 more like throwing 120-150 pitches?

Nov 18, 2015
10U Tournament recently - 148 pitches over at least 7 innings. I believe this was a championship game. It may have gone 9 innings. However, there were also several 30-45 minute rain-delays - game supposedly ended around 8:30 PM on the Sunday. I'm not defending the Coach, and would hope that if there weren't any delays, she would not have been left in. But again, I wasn't there by that point, and we did see her pitch multiple times this past weekend, so I'm not convinced she would have been taken out if no delays. She also looked to be a HE-style pitcher (throwing shoulder ending a lot higher than her rear shoulder). But it's all worth it - even if she needs to ask her Dad to put her trophy on the shelf for her b/c she can't lift her arm high enough...

Apr 11, 2016
We are dealing with this right now. Previously, DD had been on teams where coaches would use taller pitchers who would throw fast but wild than using short little her who threw more accurately to the corners. Plus, she played SS very well so they preferred her there more. Now she is on a team where there is 1.50 pitcher. She pitches 3 out of 4 games in tournaments every weekend. They made to the final Championship game in all 3 of their tournaments this year, and DD would pitch that last game as well. The last tournament was brutal. It was 100-deg hot and infield made lots of mistakes. DD pitched an extra 40 pitches when they kept dropping easy balls (I know, it's hot). This is usually a pretty good team, and Coach told them please help the pitcher and catcher next time by really focusing, b/c every error leads to extra pitches and extra time in the heat.

It doesn't help that I am the one doing Game Changer. Seeing the pitch count piling up to over 200 pitches on Sundays. DD's shoulder would hurt the next day. I use cold compress and also bought an Omron pain relief device, it helps but she hates it (my doctor friend recommends it.) She doesn't want to tell the coach when her shoulder hurts since she loves pitching, and this is the first team that really lets her pitch so much. Her words, she loves making the batters dance with her change-ups and curveballs. But as a parent, I really worry that this will lead to permanent injury down the road.

Oct 26, 2019
We are dealing with this right now. Previously, DD had been on teams where coaches would use taller pitchers who would throw fast but wild than using short little her who threw more accurately to the corners. Plus, she played SS very well so they preferred her there more. Now she is on a team where there is 1.50 pitcher. She pitches 3 out of 4 games in tournaments every weekend. They made to the final Championship game in all 3 of their tournaments this year, and DD would pitch that last game as well. The last tournament was brutal. It was 100-deg hot and infield made lots of mistakes. DD pitched an extra 40 pitches when they kept dropping easy balls (I know, it's hot). This is usually a pretty good team, and Coach told them please help the pitcher and catcher next time by really focusing, b/c every error leads to extra pitches and extra time in the heat.

It doesn't help that I am the one doing Game Changer. Seeing the pitch count piling up to over 200 pitches on Sundays. DD's shoulder would hurt the next day. I use cold compress and also bought an Omron pain relief device, it helps but she hates it (my doctor friend recommends it.) She doesn't want to tell the coach when her shoulder hurts since she loves pitching, and this is the first team that really lets her pitch so much. Her words, she loves making the batters dance with her change-ups and curveballs. But as a parent, I really worry that this will lead to permanent injury down the road.
I think you know the answer to this. It’s not your daughters fault that the team doesn’t have other pitchers. I recommend talking to the coach and sharing your concern. If he hears it and makes adjustments then he is a good coach. If he makes excuses or says “softball players can throw forever” then you are probably out of luck. Pain in the shoulder is not normal and pitching through it is a bad idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28