Pitch count for a day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Does anyone have recommendations for a maximum pitch count for 16U? My DD threw 178 pitches today in three games. and I don't know if that's overtaxing her or not.

She's never been overly accurate, but she's not walking many. Because of that and our rather lax defense, she just ends up throwing a volume of pitches -- 20 or so an inning. It hasn't been a big deal in the past, because we've always had a couple of other girls who can thrown, but after the COVID restart it's really her and a converted rec pitcher. So she's got to carry all day, and I was wondering if other coaches/parents have thought about putting a cap on their DD, and if so how much?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's really player dependent. For some, that might be too much, but others can do it. Are those three games back-to-back, or are they spaced out with breaks in between? The heat can also have a big impact on individual stamina. Are you including the warmups in your count?

Feb 20, 2020
It's really player dependent. For some, that might be too much, but others can do it. Are those three games back-to-back, or are they spaced out with breaks in between? The heat can also have a big impact on individual stamina. Are you including the warmups in your count?

No, just game pitches. And today was back to back to back in the heat. She wasn't supposed to throw the second game, but we were down 10-1 after 1.1, so she came in and ended up throwing 53 after throwing 68. Then another 57 starting the third game. I pointed her count to her coach (just so she knew because we don't have anyone tracking it) and the coach pulled her (I wasn't trying to get her pulled, but i wanted them to be aware because bracket play is tomorrow and it's her first game pitching since March). My DD was furious because she was pitching fine and it was a three-run game. The other pitcher got shellacked.

The coach and I are good pals, and I told her I wasn't trying to coach, but I keep score and I figure stuff like that is my job. She thanked me, but I felt bad. And I really wasn't trying to tell her what to do, but I thought I probably overstepped so i thought I'd ask y'all what you thought.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I did not do pitch counts but DD was pitching too much and her arm was sore. I told her to talk to coach or I would. She talked to coach.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
No, just game pitches. And today was back to back to back in the heat. She wasn't supposed to throw the second game, but we were down 10-1 after 1.1, so she came in and ended up throwing 53 after throwing 68. Then another 57 starting the third game. I pointed her count to her coach (just so she knew because we don't have anyone tracking it) and the coach pulled her (I wasn't trying to get her pulled, but i wanted them to be aware because bracket play is tomorrow and it's her first game pitching since March). My DD was furious because she was pitching fine and it was a three-run game. The other pitcher got shellacked.

The coach and I are good pals, and I told her I wasn't trying to coach, but I keep score and I figure stuff like that is my job. She thanked me, but I felt bad. And I really wasn't trying to tell her what to do, but I thought I probably overstepped so i thought I'd ask y'all what you thought.

That's alot. I certainly wouldn't be burning up my best pitcher in a pool game that my team was badly losing. I'd put anyone else in, even if they couldn't even get it close.

Apr 1, 2017
Yeah, the #1 coming in and throwing 58 pitches when already down 11-1 doesn’t make much sense

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
View attachment 18507
This seems to be pretty consistent with pitch counts I have found from the sports med community

This is the first time I've seen softball pitch counts that actually recommend fewer pitches than for baseball pitchers at the same age. It's always been my understanding that pitching in softball is less taxing on the arm, so while overuse is possible (especially pitching multiple times in a day, etc.), it's not as prevalent.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Count how many pitches are done in a workout.
80-100 very common.
Thats in 30 min consecutively.
Several days weekly.

Records on games show pitchers can and do throw more in games.
That said...

Individual athletism and age is a consideration.

The weather and health is another consideration.

Throwing in a game how many how much
imo is the individuals decision.
Younger ages guided by the parents not the coach.

Have a plan including recuperation.
Stick to it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802