Pitch Calling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
I think this is the first time I have ventured off the "Pitching" thread ever. lol Not sure I'll see replies unless someone quotes me or tags me.

First, I was amazed when I joined the college ranks (mid-major D1 school) last year how little the pitchers/catchers knew about pitch calling and selection. It's absolutely pathetic that 12U kids have to have pitches called for them instead of learning the art and craft themselves. We are turning kids into robots who have no idea what to look for, what to do, except look at the coach or those ridiculous wrist bands. You teach them in practices and let them try to execute in games, pure and simple. ABSOLUTELY discuss pitching, sequencing, hitters, etc. between innings but my goodness lets teach the game to the kids!!! PREACH at practices to keep the ball low (dropballs) when you have a 1 run lead after in the 6 and 7th inning so that a fly ball doesn't tie the game!! And they have to learn the consequences of the late inning HR on a riseball that ties or loses the game because they didn't follow the percentages strategy of keeping the ball low.

I was amazed at how D1 college kids didn't understand, what I thought were fundamentals of pitching.

When I called pitches, I tried to channel myself into the pitcher. "What would I throw in this situation?" Then would pray we'd execute. Not to brag but the team went from 13 wins the year before to 30, lowest ERA in conference, my pitcher won the conference Player/Year award, and having been predicted 8-8 in conference: we ended 3rd narrowly missing 2nd place. This was achieved by simply playing percentages: drop balls late in games, jamming slappers to make them pull the ball, no fly balls with runner's on 3rd, multiple change ups in a row, etc.

Bill
resources (1).gif

Aug 19, 2015
As a coach of a 14u Competitive team im getting the honor of calling pitches this upcoming season.
Wanted to get other coaches opinion on the how many types of pitches do they want their pitchers to throw?
I like to have our pitchers throw 3 different type ( fastball, change-up, and either drop, curve, or screw ).

Love to hear other coaches thoughts on the matter?
I coach Junior High Ball and also 14U travel-I always teach kids FB first, change second-been reading a lot about the third pitch-I'd say whatever is natural. Had a few kids tell me they have 5-6 pitches which usually means they have one-the gopher ball-very few kids have control of that many pitches. I like to tell kids master location of the FB/CU meaning be able to throw either in any count with 75% accuracy. If you can do that, let's look to add the third pitch. Location and change of speeds is more important imo. My assistant coach is a former D1 SB coach and preaches to kids about THREE SPEEDS. I agree with her-great hitters will hit straight gas-have to mix it up or have something that moves. That being said, a lot of people saying better to start kids learning spin pitches early. However, I feel a lot of pitching coaches just teach multiple pitches before ready so they can keep collecting money. If a kids can throw at 14U a FB (hopefully has a little natural movement) around 53-55, change up around 45, and something like DROP or CURVE at 49, and all pitches come out of hand looking similar-I think you got a winner.

In short-I typically am only calling three pitches in a game with the idea we will move eye in/out with CU, curve, or drop and up/down/in/out with FB. Again, just my experience over last ten years but there are far more experienced coaches out there.

Aug 19, 2015
Coach-love what you said about rise ball late-a missed rise ball equals HR. Keep ball down late in close games. Important to talk to P/C before game and inbetween innings and see what's working, what is she comfortable with, what's her preferred OUT pitch. What's the batter doing, where are they in the box, etc. Important to pitch to the batter, not the plate.

LOVE jamming slappers-we also throw a lot of CU to slappers to disrupt timing. Wondering what your thoughts on that are? I am also a fan of back to back change ups as most kids don't expect that.

Aug 3, 2019
One of the funniest games we were in, our pitcher was hitting all her spots. Coach was reading off numbers from the chart like a mad man. Problem was, pitcher had a different armband in. Could not figure out why he called a 3-1 change up, but apparently neither could the batter. After the 3rd inning of strange pitches being thrown and not what the coach was calling for, we figured it out. Was a good laugh.

After that game we went back to catcher calling the game.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Your expectations for accuracy may be too high. At the major league baseball pitching level, if a pitcher can hit his spot 70% of the time, that pitch is working. It is highly unlikely that even the best pitcher can hit the same spot three pitches in a row.

I am an advocate of the kids calling their own game because it is their game being played. They get to learn so much more by playing and the coach coaching.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you are are preparing someone to play college softball it is very hard to justify spending time on developing a skill that will not be useful in the future. Seems like it is more about nostalgia and a vision of how some think it should be with no actual basis in reality. Best to focus on what will truly matter in the future, and it is highly unlikely that pitch calling will even be in the top ten. By all means let the catcher call the game if you wish, but make no mistake it will most likely never happen in college. It just does not work that way.

Jan 17, 2020
DD has called them behind the plate As well as call them for the other catcher on off cycle. It Happens. If they are taught from a young age the coach will be happy with the input, unless you’re in the power 5 conference.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If you are are preparing someone to play college softball it is very hard to justify spending time on developing a skill that will not be useful in the future. Seems like it is more about nostalgia and a vision of how some think it should be with no actual basis in reality. Best to focus on what will truly matter in the future, and it is highly unlikely that pitch calling will even be in the top ten. By all means let the catcher call the game if you wish, but make no mistake it will most likely never happen in college. It just does not work that way.

TRUTH!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
To the OP, by all means, not a pitching coach here, but this is simple and has worked for me for the last 5 or 6 years.

Side to side pitches (curve & screw) thrown to a hitters plane are set up pitches.

Up and down pitches (rise, drop, change) that changes a hitters eye are strike out pitches.

This post could be expounded on heavily, but you get simple gist of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2