Pitch calling... Wow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
We faced a future Pac-12 pitcher last night. She got most of our girls out with a change up. But with that being said, pitchers seem to be ahead of hitters right now this early in the season.

Apr 28, 2014
We faced a future Pac-12 pitcher last night. She got most of our girls out with a change up. But with that being said, pitchers seem to be ahead of hitters right now this early in the season.

Feeling the same
Most hitters havent see live pitching in a while!

Apr 16, 2013
Man, I absolutely love pitch calling strategy. MOST coaches are so f'ing predictable. As both a catcher and a very strong batter, I've always tried to instill this "cat and mouse" game into my DD. Watch every friggin' thing. Where is the batter standing? What did she do last inning? What does her swing look like? What did she do with the last pitch? Of course, all of this is predicated on what the pitcher can do, and control is #1 and change of speed #2.

My DD's new team isn't great. They're mediocre at best. However, the 16u/18u team will work together on some weekends. The 18u team has a JMU signed pitcher. She doesn't throw pure heat, very low 60's at best. However, she pitches her fastballs with backspin (as in everything is a "rise") and has a devastating drop. It's so fun to watch her throw a FB right down the friggin' middle and every girl swings under it. It just doesn't drop! She just keeps working higher and higher into the zone. After about 4 innings the girls start catching on and start adjusting. THEN the drop comes out. She pitched 2 perfect games this past weekend. I loved watching them and playing the game in my mind of what I'd call if I were catching or coaching.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
One of the worst things to be is completely predictable in your pitch calling. Every 14U tournament I go to: It’s either 0-2 or 1-2. Ok. Here comes the change up. Assuming their pitcher even has one. Literally, 95% of the time. Can I get a low fastball two balls off the plate just one time?!!?

May 17, 2012
:) imagine that....
there was just a lively chat this week about live pitching as practice of which i highly encourage ;)

Who the hell has live pitching practices in the summer with their own pitchers?

So if every team had live pitching practice they would catch up to the pitching? It's nonsense....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Who the hell has live pitching practices in the summer with their own pitchers?

So if every team had live pitching practice they would catch up to the pitching? It's nonsense....
SUCCESS is already in the books!
Woohoo!
GO SOFTBALL !

Yep teams past few weeks have been doing live pitching at practices prepairing for games to start back up.
Good thing too after that break.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib

The games I’ve been following have actually been the opposite. Highly ranked / recruited pitchers getting rocked. Lots of balls leaving the yard. Way more than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802