Picky/Not Picky~pitch selection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone have a preference?
Picky very selective
Not Picky will swing at entire zone

Me , not picky

Personally, I'm not picky. You shouldn't be picky because some pitchers are good at staying on the outside/inside of the strike zone. If you are going to be picky, you may strike out because you only will swing at a pitch in a specific area.

Edit: It also depends on your pitch count. If the girl is consistently throwing balls, you can just wait around for your pitch. But, the more strikes you have, the less picky you can be.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Depends on the count 3-0 picky. 3-2 not picky.
Exactly.. Be an intelligent hitter.. I agree with China, but to further elaborate. There are many situations that dictates my approach at bat.
  • Pitcher struggling to hit the strike zone - very picky depending on count, but still looking to do damage on 1st pitch if in my hot zone
  • Pitcher consistently painting the corners with a knockout pitch, aggressive 1st pitch with expanded strike zone
There are so many in game situations as well, but the hitter needs to be intelligent depending on the situation.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Don't want to end the thread but......

Whenever this clip is posted, and its a great clip and it gets posted from time to time. I'm sure I've posted it at least once. I notice that no one ever says Geez Sue this isn't baseball there is no mound on the softball diamond. But let a new pitcher dad say mound on this forum and 5 people rush to post that there is no mound.

Sep 19, 2018
There are success hitters at both ends. With such a broad question, there have to be lots of assumptions made that won't be true for everybody on both ends.

If I was building a hitter, I'd lean towards the picky side.

Being picky out of ....fear or insecurity, or being so aggressive you swing at pitches out of the strike zone, won't work.

Just because you are picky does not mean you are .. timid or not confident at the plate. You can definitely have the Yes, Yes, Yes... mentality that Enquist talks about but say "No" more often than someone else.

Just because you are an aggressive hitter, doesn't always mean you are more likely to swing at balls out of the strike zone.

As has been mentioned above, being able to understand what is happening in the game, seeing what the pitcher is doing and understanding their own capabilities is most important.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
OK. I know what doesnt work. Trying see the pitch and then decide if it is a strike or not and then act on it. That approach results in what I call "oh shirt swings". Late, all arms. A hitter should load/coil/ready themselves on every pitch. Any pitch even remotely near the strike zone should result in a hard check swing. Hitters approach should be very similar to the approach they use when hitting off a pitching machine. In other words, plan on swinging.

May 12, 2016
It's true, get started on every pitch like you want to hit the ball. But that's not being aggressive or passive.. that's just part of the process of getting yourself in position to launch. Hitters need to understand "the" strike zone. Strike zones are dictated by many factors, game situation, umpire tendencies, pitcher tendencies, count etc etc. Personally I think parents, coaches, hitting instructors do not spend enough time on educating hitters on situation/baseball intelligence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598