Picking a HS team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
As the season has come to have HS tryouts and pick the team for this upcoming season we are running into a potential situation..

Numbers are down this season due to currents situation and also players just not playing anymore so what we are having question about is there are some potential players that are in other afterschool programs, ( band, chorus, and rotc) and also taking college classes.

With these circumstances they would miss 40% of practices and 60% of the games, so the question is given low numbers is it worth taking these players?
Love to hear other coaches opinions on the matter!
Thanks

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Wow, sorry to hear, softball up here is the largest girls sport. Can you pluck some of the younger girls to bring up? Our high school system allows kids to start as early as 7th grade for Varsity in softball and other sports if they can play?

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
IMO and I have dealt with a similar situation being from a small school in a rural area. I would not add players that will not be there 100% of the time. The players that are there every day will resent them and not be the best teammates. This is from my experience.

Nov 22, 2016
We are a 9th-12th school and in the past probably 10-15 years we have had plenty of players but I guess the cycle is turning and it's getting scarce.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I guess it would be better to take girls to fill out a team than no team at all. Start all the girls that show up everyday, and hopefully you can plug some in when needed.

Nov 18, 2015
In my area, Middle School is 6-8. If the MS doesn't offer the same sport as HS, then 8th graders are allowed to play on the HS team (I don't know if there's further restrictions such as JV-only, or Varsity only if no JV). But I would think that would be a School Board-level type of decision, so it may not save your current season.

Do you have an idea of what your current roster would be at without the extras? I could see being willing to take 3-5 bench/role players that would only be available 50/60/70% of the time, but like Indy said - problems will likely occur if those extra's are put into starting roles at the expense of someone who's 100% committed. I also understand that if the part-timer is good enough to start, that's a tough position to be in program-wise. If she's head-and-shoulders above your other options, perhaps you could wait until conference play starts, or at least key conf games, to put them in as starters.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How low are the numbers? Can you field a team without the part-timers? Is there a particular part-timer or two you really think you need whenever you can get her (I've been there; I know what it's like)?

How have other sports gone in your state? Has everything played? Have any sports been canceled/had shortened seasons? Think about going to girls who normally play those sports and try to recruit them, even if they haven't played before (especially if they're 9th graders). You never know who might jump at the chance to play a sport, any sport, because her main sport wasn't there for her this year.

Jun 19, 2016
This is honestly just the chickens coming home to roost. Rec ball is dead or on life support in many areas of the country and lots of parents don't have the time or money to play for select ball. I could post paragraphs on why this has happened but I will save that rant for another time.

There were always be some high schools that are stacked with talent, but many high school programs will suffer from lack of talent. Thinks especially true in areas without middle school softball programs.

With all that said I absolutely would not take a player that is going to miss 60% of the games. 60% of practices might be okay if they are working on their own but missing that many games is unacceptable. I think I would take CoachJD's suggestion and sign up the best 9th graders you can and build. As others have suggested I definitely have been would go fish in the middle school pond if that is allowed in your area. I have been told that is not allowed in Texas.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
Sorry turned out longer than planned.

From my experience trying to build a program that was in a tough situation, I would have the following advice.
Just my opinion.

Do what you do. Do not be afraid to change gears from time to time. But never let the players or parents dictate what you do. If you have enough to play then work with those players. If you are doing things right then other players will join and want to be apart of it. As long as your AD knows your plan and is on board then you will be fine.

If you let players show up when they "can" it will turn into when they "want to". Players that are suppose to be there 100% of the time will miss for this and that. It will be tough to tell them they can't. I had a girl miss a practice and a game to go prom dress shopping with her mom. So she had to sit out two games because of team rules.

So far this philosophy has worked for our staff. When we took over the program we had 22 girls sign up by seasons end we had 12. We did not cut or ask any players to leave the team, they all did it on their own. They did not like being held accountable or expected to work hard so they left. Or they thought they should be on varsity. Two years later our numbers were back up to 21 and they all wanted to be there. Success breeds interest.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
High school ball versus travel ball is a tricky thing. Some states are changing rules due to covid, but Illinois is still holding firm on only playing one or the other for most of the season, not all. If your an A level player and your HS team is not very competitive, I would agree, travel all the way. In our case, the HS team is the State 4a Champions, we are DEFINATELY playing HS ball!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K