Pick Up Pitchers at Nationals? Yes or No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Another theory: High caliber kids that are uncommitted. Major D1 coach(we'll use Mike White from UT for this scenario) needs to see these players play against the best. College coach picks up the phone and calls TB coach. Hey TB Coach, this Mike White (in my best New Zealand accent) I have some players that I would really like to see play in your next tournament. Can you make it happen? TB coach: Of course, give me the kid's contact information and I will get it done. And bam! Pick up player shows up and pitches at USA Gold Nat's and TFL finals against the best teams in Texas. That's what I would do, if I need to see some kids in action.

" To me end of the day that's one of many reason i'd never have my DD play for that kind of team." Parents don't know this is going to happen...until it happens. Frankly, I am kind of surprised it is happening since this team has plenty of talent.
Yes

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am watching one of their games on my computer. Pick Up player from NM just allowed back to back 3 run bombs vs the Hotshots. This is what happens when you play stud teams.

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
Um, we need a pitcher. Any of those disgruntled players/parents want to come play for GA Impact? :cool:

If there is an injury, overuse issue, or maybe your ace is in a major funk, I could see picking up A pitcher. One extra pitcher. I can't see picking up two or three just because we want to win. Hopefully you have constructed your team well and are playing at the level you need to play to have a chance to win nationals. I always wonder if the team has half blown up or if they have a ton of injuries.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Note: Observation from a softball fan from afar. So I have been following various teams from Texas that have been playing at USA Gold Nat's and the Texas Fastpitch League because this is my only enjoyment this summer. One Big Time team in particular I noticed have been using pitchers that I have not seen before. They brought in a pitcher from California, 2 other pitchers from one of their other teams in the program, now a kid from New Mexico. Meanwhile, giving minimal innings to the pitchers that have been with the team the whole time. I now see a kid from our area pitching this morning that played with Uncle Rico's team from California this summer and with a GA team last year.

I am trying to put myself in the shoes of the coach and also the shoes of those pitcher parents that are not getting circle time. So if I am the coach, my job is to win at this level right? So I am going to find the best pitching that I can find to help me win. I probably need to consider bringing in players to look at for next year too. As a parent, I am not too happy that I travel with the team week in week out and watch these pick up players being paraded out to the circle while the full time pitchers are snubbed. I also noticed that a full time pitcher that was pitching in OK is not with the team this week. Probably got fed up. So when they win, do I say congrats on winning...with your pick up players?

I have mixed feelings on this. But my predominate feeling is, You compete with who got you there and sprinkle in the pick up pitchers as needed. If you really need pick up pitchers, but they don't. LOL!

If you can't win with the team you have and got you there then you don't win. Either the team didn't play their best or as the person who is responsible for forming that team maybe you don't belong there.

Mar 28, 2014
Note: Observation from a softball fan from afar. So I have been following various teams from Texas that have been playing at USA Gold Nat's and the Texas Fastpitch League because this is my only enjoyment this summer. One Big Time team in particular I noticed have been using pitchers that I have not seen before. They brought in a pitcher from California, 2 other pitchers from one of their other teams in the program, now a kid from New Mexico. Meanwhile, giving minimal innings to the pitchers that have been with the team the whole time. I now see a kid from our area pitching this morning that played with Uncle Rico's team from California this summer and with a GA team last year.

I am trying to put myself in the shoes of the coach and also the shoes of those pitcher parents that are not getting circle time. So if I am the coach, my job is to win at this level right? So I am going to find the best pitching that I can find to help me win. I probably need to consider bringing in players to look at for next year too. As a parent, I am not too happy that I travel with the team week in week out and watch these pick up players being paraded out to the circle while the full time pitchers are snubbed. I also noticed that a full time pitcher that was pitching in OK is not with the team this week. Probably got fed up. So when they win, do I say congrats on winning...with your pick up players?

I have mixed feelings on this. But my predominate feeling is, You compete with who got you there and sprinkle in the pick up pitchers as needed. If you really need pick up pitchers, but they don't. LOL!
You expect anything different from KC Jackson? Ha!!! He's something else. Wonder why they lose so many teams......

We played that NM pitcher last year in Plano when she was pitching 14u. She's tough at 14u but 18u, not so much. Not much spin and while fast (63 last summer), she's not fast enough to blow those Hotshots 18u kids away without movement.

Jun 16, 2010
We did it at 14U.
Because the girl wanted to play for us but she lived 120 mi away and couldn't make it during the school year. The coach wanted her to play for us also. He made trips to her to work with her pitching. She was on a local daddy team who did not pitch her. The daddy pitched his daughter instead.

we had started that year with three pitchers...... One just always turned into a hit fest.....Her speed was a little less...about 54-55 and it never picked up..... It wasn't good enough for elite 14U ball. She got frustrated and quit. The other pitchers were 58-59. So we only had two pitchers when Nationals came.

She ended up playing for us the next 3 years .... Making that 240 mile round trip drive several days a week ....because it was worth it for the pitching instruction she got and the level of team she was on.

She was NCAA freshman of the year. Took her team to the wcws as a true freshman.

So while initially some people were kind of not in favor of picking up another pitcher........... I'd say everybody was a hundred percent behind it come the next season when she was on the team.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD has been the pitcher on the other side of the coin being asked to play for local teams when the team she plays for (way out of state) is off. She does not pick up for several reasons, one of which is knowing how the other pitchers would feel if she got playing time over them, especially since their parents are paying for them to be on that team. Another reason is that especially for pitchers, guest playing seems to cause a lot of unnecessary drama and rumor mills that she and our family don’t want to be part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
We see it with a few teams in our area.
Not sure why they don't go with their own talent. I will say that it's one of the reasons DD never truly considered playing for one of these teams in particular. They have a very good team buy only one good pitcher. I do think that the guest pitchers scare away top talent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K