Pick Up Pitchers at Nationals? Yes or No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2017
Sounds like some coaches forgot that the reason to play that level is to get your girls exposure and prepare them to be ready for college ball, not to win games. May sound "pollyanna-ish" but that is really the goal.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Sounds like some coaches forgot that the reason to play that level is to get your girls exposure and prepare them to be ready for college ball, not to win games. May sound "pollyanna-ish" but that is really the goal.
This team is put together to win and that's it. Their 16U team is for college recruiting since the 18U team has 100% D1 commits and signees.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
This is a problem I have with TB that I don't see in club soccer (my youngest is a soccer player). The governing bodies pay close attention to rosters and guest players can only come from that teams organization and with limitations. Players have ID cards and they are checked before games. Otherwise you get what we see in TB... All Star teams thrown together for every big tournament.

same in travel Volleyball.

Nov 13, 2017
This team is put together to win and that's it. Their 16U team is for college recruiting since the 18U team has 100% D1 commits and signees.
Sitting on the bench doesn't help them improve and prepare for college though. I don't disagree with what your saying, just think this team/coach is losing site of the purpose.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Sitting on the bench doesn't help them improve and prepare for college though. I don't disagree with what your saying, just think this team/coach is losing site of the purpose.

By the way, welcome to our community!
Not all programs are built the same. By no means am I defending sitting his "team" pitchers over his hired guns. At this point in these girls softball careers, they know how to play the game, and can start on any college team day 1. Sitting out a tournament or two will not diminish their skills, but I am sure they don't like chasing down foul balls while the hired guns are getting circle time. You can look at it this way too. Maybe the coach is getting them ready for college since not all freshman will get the majority of playing time and they might need to get used to playing behind a 5th year Senior.

This coach's purpose during their summer run is to win Championships, and the team is run like a college program, or at least as close as you can get. Fall Showcase time is for equal playing time and rotating. There is a reason he has players going to the SEC, PAC12, Big 12, AAC, Southland, Sun Belt and every other D1 conference. When you get hand picked to join his team, you better have a good idea of what you are joining and why you are joining. It's not for every player and family, and that's okay. There are definitely benefits. Ex: I know a kid on this team that was decommitted from an SEC program, in less than a week the family was on a plane, visited with another SEC coach and committed to the that team. I am pretty sure the TB coaches set that up or had a hand in it.

Jun 16, 2010
Some teams are pure showcase teams......for winning. Most top recruits are already heavily recruited by 16U.

Every girl on our 16U had an invite from Mike Stith to play with Team Mizuno. To get the exposure that only his name could give you. Only one did.....parents spent a couple thousand more $.......and she went to local university anyway.....that already had recruited her....that then sat her on bench. Most girls REALLY want to stay close to home.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
As a follow up: The Hotshots won the TFL tourney in Texas. Congrats to them.

They posted a follow up "pat on the back" Insta post congratulating themselves on a job well done. They put up some impressive numbers. 21 HR's for the tourney! One kid hit 7. This where it gets good. They took a couple digs at the team described in the OP. "Last but not least our horses on the mound...Yes they are ours! No pick ups here! Start race and Finish race." Apparently, other people were taking notice. They also posted some good hashtags.
Thats awesome. Good for them. Besides winning with a pickup is never winning

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting to read the various replies in this thread... To me, it comes down to what the coach told the players that joined the team initially. If the team declared that they play to win even if that requires pickups, and that originally rostered players may sit because of it, I have no issue with it. Essentially you bought what you paid for. I'm not a fan of that mentality, and wouldn't operate that way myself, but if you explain it up front and people agree to it, they shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
Another perspective a dad offered me last night that I truly hadn't thought of: these girls that are already committed don't need to be pitching every inning of every game to stay sharp and improve. Too many great pitchers get ridden when the games are important. He was saying basically a quarter of the innings is plenty and reduces the risk of injury. So letting someone else be the workhorse made sense to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812