Pick Up Pitchers at Nationals? Yes or No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
What is sad is there were teams that brought in girls from California and Nevada to the USSSA Southern Nationals 12B tournament in Texas.

Jun 8, 2016
What is sad is there were teams that brought in girls from California and Nevada to the USSSA Southern Nationals 12B tournament in Texas.
I am guessing from teams in CA that didn't play any USSSA tournaments so they didn't have an A classification?

Jun 19, 2016
I am guessing from teams in CA that didn't play any USSSA tournaments so they didn't have an A classification?
They just dropped them off their A roster in California and added them to the B roster in Texas. I am not sure why he he TD didn't catch this.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As a coach, our goal was to always have 3 pitchers going into any tournament. If we did not have 3, we would add a pickup player. But as long as we had 3, those were the pitchers that played. Our preference was always to avoid pickups if at all possible.

DD was asked to play at Eastern Nationals several years ago. Similar situation.... The team had 3 solid pitchers, but one was having some arm issues. DD was asked to play as the #3. She/We knew going in that the other two would pitch more, but she did get some valuable experience playing A level ball at a higher age bracket. Interesting thing was the injured pitcher traveled with the team and attended all games. She just didn't play. She was very supportive of DD the entire time.

I am not in favor of a situation like mentioned in the OP, but I know that it happens. Especially at the higher levels. That said, most of these teams are not shy about their philosophies. So anyone that joins the team has to understand that this is a possibility. Buyer beware...

Mar 10, 2020
How presitgious 12b

When asked to guest on a team we inquire the number of rostered players attending. For dd who pitches additionally ask how many pitchers. We know coaches who think its okay to displace other players. We never play for them.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As a follow up: The Hotshots won the TFL tourney in Texas. Congrats to them.

They posted a follow up "pat on the back" Insta post congratulating themselves on a job well done. They put up some impressive numbers. 21 HR's for the tourney! One kid hit 7. This where it gets good. They took a couple digs at the team described in the OP. "Last but not least our horses on the mound...Yes they are ours! No pick ups here! Start race and Finish race." Apparently, other people were taking notice. They also posted some good hashtags.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee