Pick Up Pitchers at Nationals? Yes or No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
I actually think it helps them a lot to prepare for college by sitting the bench. As freshman they’re likely to spend a lot of time there And they need to know how to handle it. Too many girls get to college expecting to play every game because that’s how it was in travel. Its a different animal with twice as many players on a team and most of them are 2-4 years older. That’s why so many quit or get forced out freshman year.

Thats somewhat of a choice a girl makes. You can go someplace that needs you now, and play every game for 4 yrs. Or, they need you this yr, next yr you get replaced with someone better..(pitchers). You can go somewhere that redshirts you . You can go somewhere you compete for playing time. You can go somewhere you never will get to play.

Decisions. Many teams carry under 20. Most I saw was 35. Of those 35, 20 never would see field. Their job was to carry equipment, and cheer, until they transferred. But they were proud on signing day.

My daughter started every game but 2 in college. One of those she was hospitalized with kidney stone....due to dehydration from practices, etc. The other......she was in a hitting slump from hell ...she put too much pressure on herself. She was probably 10 games without a hit. The more she tried....worse she did. Coach benched her for half game, started a freshman, told her to relax, watch the others play for a change. Take pressure off herself.

Sounds stupid right? I thought so.
When he put her in after a few innings, she hit 2 HR that game, and one the next.....slump over. Theres a lot mental going on.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
If you are effectively paying my DD up to $30,000/year to be on the team like colleges do, you can bring whoever you want in to play and put her on the bench.

If I am paying you like we do in TB, it's a different story. Apples to oranges. I'm not paying some TB organization to prepare my DD to sit the bench in college. Lol...... I'm paying you to prepare her to play.

I get where you’re coming from. I’m just saying it does a kid good to spend some time on the bench and have to earn her spot. One of DD’s travel coaches summed it up pretty good. We paid for the training. Seeing the field was up to the kids.

Mar 28, 2014
I get where you’re coming from. I’m just saying it does a kid good to spend some time on the bench and have to earn her spot. One of DD’s travel coaches summed it up pretty good. We paid for the training. Seeing the field was up to the kids.
I see that as well.

Jun 8, 2016
I never sat an inning till my freshmen year in college...I wasn’t very good at it (actually I was horrible at it..)...go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802