pick off throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well, I am just getting started coaching. So, there is that.
With defense communicating the 1st baseman will know befor the throw/ball reaches them runner is going.

Again glad there are different mechanics to discuss and think thru!!!!

Oct 26, 2019
@Cannonball here is a good video describing what you are talking about. Around the 4th or 5th steal you can see the first baseman tagging air.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I went YouTube and searched video. Saw kids getting burnt with both setups. I believe these are younger kids, maybe 14U. These catchers appear to still be learning when and where to throw. Hopefully they’re learning from their mistakes. When a kid gets out 15ft-20ft, the catcher has to know they are probably stealing in the lower age groups. I don’t think anyone would argue this is not softball being played at a high level.

Im not a there’s only one way to do things guy. I just don’t see a distinct advantage to 1B facing 2B on a pick at 1B. in fact I see more benefit to the blind tag with a RH 1B.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I’m a baseball guy and I taught 1B to face infield side when they tagged. Left handed first baseman have an advantage here. I did that because I never seemed to get the call from the umpire when the first baseman had their back to the infield - Makes it harder To tag out front of the bag.

softball has me thinking that it might be better to have first baseman facing foul when they tag since they start in front of the bag. I’m at 10U so honestly if we catch it I’m pretty happy right now haha

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Game feedback
This weekend
Delay steals
Different talent levels.

Explosion Friendly saturday
Teams 18u
Batbuster/ Stith
Mercado Athletics/ Mercado
LTG Lions/Henderson
Sorcerer/old school
Firecracker/ Tj
Explosion/Denio
~Out of three games
And a few innings of others
*No delay steal attempts.
*Very small lead offs.

Average 2nd year
Strong 2nd year
~out of 3 games and a few innings of others

Starter team runner on 2nd broke to 3rd when ball was thrown from catcher back to pitch. Shortstop yelled going. Pitcher threw to 3rd baseman. Runner out at 3rd.

Strong team had runner on 1st.
Took a good lead off. Not huge.
Average team catcher throws to 1st . Runner took off to 2nd.
Infield yelled going. 1st base caught ball facing catcher. Turned threw to shortstop at 2nd . Runner out.

Average team runner on first.
Against strong team.
Catcher threw to 1st.
Runner took off.
Team yelled going.
1st base 'came forward' 'stepped to ball'
turned into throw at 2nd.
Runner out at second.

3 total delay steal attempts.
All resulting in outs.
Infield communicating.

IMO
Developing players still need to work on instinct when to throw and where. As well reacting to game situations and communicating.
Runners need to learn reacting and what there speed can and cannot accomplish.
Coaches have a learning curve also! :)

Noticed starter teams have bad errant throws letting other teams score...often. Off fielding balls throwing all over the field.
That said...gets cleaned up and controlled....see 12u teams grow to where...
Average and strong teams decisive on when to throw. More confident in throw and catch routine plays.

Like seeing pressure put on defense. However think that is a developmental stage,
While it does happen at competitive levels....
Not so much.
TOP TIER TRAVEL
....well they just know better than to have sloppy base running or get plucked off a base.

Talent and developmental level certainly play a role in discussions!!!!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee