pick off throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Always discouraged my 1B from the ”blind sweep tags” and took advantage of teams that utilized it against me. The base line is only 60 feet and by the time 1B catches, looks for the tag, the realize the runner is gone it is too late to get her out at 2nd. Had runner take an extra step off the lead and go on the throw to first. Players came up to me and stated “1B is turning the wrong way”
Communication by the defense will keep 1B from swiping at nothing. A good catcher at 16U and up can usually tell if a runner is going to attempt a delay. Don’t remember DD getting burnt on a delay more than two or three times during 16’s, 18’s and HS. Curious what method/methods you teach on a pick at 1B.

Jan 17, 2020
I’ve successfully carried that through 18U travel. Rarely get picked. Only can do it once a game(have gotten away with it twice against weaker teams). Obviously can’t do it with my slower runner. Even good communication teams it works because of delays in processing, getting past muscle memory, etc.
also works well with aggressive catchers. Make her throw and dive back to 1st on first attempt, then second you send her. I had a sign for it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I will slightly disagree with a few comments. On that pickoff to 3rd, keep in mind that the 3B's position is the key to this play. I have seen teams teach the 3B to cover the bag. If they do, that throw will hit the base runner IF they have been taught base running correctly. Down in foul and back in fair. We constantly have catchers throw and hit our runners with the ball deflecting and we score an easy run. Constantly! In most cases, the 3B will be down the line some. How far? Depends. However, and this is the most important thing, they have to give the catcher a throwing lane. If they are too close to the runner, the catcher will balk with that throw. They have to know that they can gun that ball.

On the throws to 1st, we practice a lot with what we call, "snap throws." Catcher catches the ball with momentum going toward 1st and throws from the knees.

Now on offense, keep in mind that some teams love to showcase their catcher's arm. The delayed steal is in play for those types of teams. There is a good chance they throw to 1st while the runner is taking second.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I’ve successfully carried that through 18U travel. Rarely get picked. Only can do it once a game(have gotten away with it twice against weaker teams). Obviously can’t do it with my slower runner. Even good communication teams it works because of delays in processing, getting past muscle memory, etc.
also works well with aggressive catchers. Make her throw and dive back to 1st on first attempt, then second you send her. I had a sign for it.
Still want to know how your 1B sets up to receive pick at 1B

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I will slightly disagree with a few comments. On that pickoff to 3rd, keep in mind that the 3B's position is the key to this play. I have seen teams teach the 3B to cover the bag. If they do, that throw will hit the base runner IF they have been taught base running correctly. Down in foul and back in fair. We constantly have catchers throw and hit our runners with the ball deflecting and we score an easy run. Constantly! In most cases, the 3B will be down the line some. How far? Depends. However, and this is the most important thing, they have to give the catcher a throwing lane. If they are too close to the runner, the catcher will balk with that throw. They have to know that they can gun that ball.

On the throws to 1st, we practice a lot with what we call, "snap throws." Catcher catches the ball with momentum going toward 1st and throws from the knees.

Now on offense, keep in mind that some teams love to showcase their catcher's arm. The delayed steal is in play for those types of teams. There is a good chance they throw to 1st while the runner is taking second.
Agree with all of this. I will add I don’t think the really good catchers are slinging the ball around just to show off their arm. They are smart, read BRs through the game and save the pick attempts for BR mistakes and when their team needs the out.

Jan 17, 2020
Sorry JDad, misread your ask. I generally like the straddling the bag facing the field. In tight situations right foot to inside corner of bag is acceptable, but runners are taught to dive to the outside corner makes the stretch a bit harder. I also had a back pick where 1B plays bunt defense and 2nd comes in behind the runner for the tag. Bit more complicated but with practice works well. Generally, if I can get 1B to get her right foot to far side of bag, makes the tag better and has a great angle for 1B Ump to see. This also hinders the delayed steal that I talked about on the blind side sweep.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Prefer sweep or tag and stick.
Prefer 1st base to face catcher just in case of an off throw.
To be more defensively prepaired. With range! Including jumping!
Additional reasoning the starting location of the 1st basemen is generally in front of the base.
( the inner infield- not behind comming in)
Defensive ready posture is same for hit ball or throw.
1st base does not have to turn thier body.
Basically (right handed ) facing catcher just tag to outside of their left foot.
Eye's on catcher the entire time.

*With a talking infield delay steals should be an out.
Throwing is faster than running.

Imo...Straddling adds some difficulties.
Adjusting (right handed) 1st baseman into straddling the bag....takes up time to set up.
( Do not have extra tenths of seconds to waste) Also means they will almost always need to back hand the ball. Which isnt necessarily bad. Yet deffinetly limiting range of defensive coverage.
Left handed 1st baseman means glove is on the wrong side of body. And reaching into runner/across body kinda obstructs receiving the throw.

Even a left handed 1st baseman can do an effective sweep or tag stick.
Generally while runner in motion of diving back tagging body still works. Or can go to tag at base...outside of left foot.

* It is not necassary to alter body angle
(moving feet 1/4 turn type thing) and
re-position body for sweep or stick glove tags!
*Athletic position requirement!
*Not saying dont ever turn/pivot on tag...can. But not necessary.

Pop times to 1st
Even at 13yrs old can be 1.7
Getting to 1.4 competitve times.

LET'S THROW RUNNERS OUT!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RADcatcher, if a right handed 1B, they catch the throw to 1B, attempt the tag. The runner is off and running on delay on the inside portion of the baseline. Typically, the SS is slower covering and now, the 1B throw is awkward due to runner's position. We've been success a lot more than have been out doing this. In fact, I can't think of one time we were out. Each to their own I guess. LOL

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RADcatcher, if a right handed 1B, they catch the throw to 1B, attempt the tag. The runner is off and running on delay on the inside portion of the baseline. Typically, the SS is slower covering and now, the 1B throw is awkward due to runner's position. We've been success a lot more than have been out doing this. In fact, I can't think of one time we were out. Each to their own I guess. LOL

Sorry to read you have a slow shortstop;)
And a defense that doesnt communicate;)

Have many years success at what i described. Add it is very common .

Delay steals should be an out!

Didnt read what you do?
Encourage discussing different things!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28