pick off throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
so I find myself working with catchers and 1st and 3rd pick off plays. I'm trying to figure out the best throwing angles and lanes for catchers and where to be for fielders. any and all help appreciated.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The position of the batter in the box will determine catchers throwing lane if the batter is on the side you’re trying to pick. Ex. Right handed batter and a pick at third. Catcher has to determine if they are going to throw behind or in front of the batter. Practice both with a batter in the box!

As far as setup, there aren’t any absolutes. The defense you’re in, whether your fielder is left or right handed and who’s taking the pick can all come in to play. Is it 1B, or are you sneaking 2B in to make the play? Make sure the fielder is set up close enough to cover the entire bag on a knee. A good base runner will go to the opposite corner of the bag from where your fielder is set up.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Add
Back pick at 3rd.
*3rd base taking throw
Runner takes lead off
(Say 5 feet down the line
Or diving distance)
3rd base receives throw!
Pivot tag should be made
AT THAT SPOT
as runner diving back/ or
turning back to 3rd base.
*Shortens throw and
quickest back pick on the field!
* Do not have 3rd going backwards to the bag with the runner.
Play should be over already!
Having 3rd go back to
bag with runner makes
longer throw to bag and
runner body can then
abstruct throw.

Back picks in this format
1.3 pick off time.
Are Enjoyable!!!!

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
thanks! my concern for a 3B pick is hitting the runner, who should be in fair territory.
for a 1B pick, fielder is usually up and watching for a bunt and needs to get back to the bag. I'm not seeing this as a high percentage play unless the runner is way off the bag.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
thanks! my concern for a 3B pick is hitting the runner, who should be in fair territory.
for a 1B pick, fielder is usually up and watching for a bunt and needs to get back to the bag. I'm not seeing this as a high percentage play unless the runner is way off the bag.

No concern hitting runner with 3rd base holding ground, focussed facing throw comming from catcher.
Already ready!

Throwing and making tags are part of the game!

Think of it this way...
Anytime catcher is throwing
we are throwing the ball toward the bases....
( toward the outfield )
ANY throw can be obstructed or deflected. Heck we throw to 2nd base and usually theres no one there yet :)

Third baseman is actually cutting off the throw befor it reaches the runner!!!!
And shortest throw! ;)

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
the video showed a good pickoff throw and tag. too many 1B will want to be on the bag like recieving a throw for a ground out. force play, so no need to be in contact with bag, if RH throw, standing arms length or so away from bag is perfect, C throws the ball towards the corner of the bag pointing at circle, puts 1B glove in perfect tag position.

Also, to help hold runners, have 1B line up one step away from bag directly in baseline, and move on the delivery. since runner cannot leave until release, there can be no obstruction until after release. if 1B starts movement at windup (as every fielder should be doing), they are out of the basepatch at release.

Feb 15, 2017
Why aren't throws received like baseball where you hold the glove deep over the corner of the bag and simply drop the glove? The ball travels faster than you can sweep the arm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Why aren't throws received like baseball where you hold the glove deep over the corner of the bag and simply drop the glove? The ball travels faster than you can sweep the arm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is the first video that came up on MLB picks. There are some sweep tags and slap tags. I think the location of the throw can affect which method is used. Also in the video there are some 1B sneaking in behind the runner. Best time for a slap tag. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a softball 1B playing behind the bag with a runner on first without a bunt defense on where 2B comes in to cover the bunt. As I said earlier, there are many factors involved in how a bag is covered on a pick. The sweep tag is effective and lessens the chances of an obstruction call. A lefty 1B is not near as likely to use a blind sweep tag at first. The video I shared was just an example for the OP to view who is working with catchers on picks.

Jan 17, 2020
Always discouraged my 1B from the ”blind sweep tags” and took advantage of teams that utilized it against me. The base line is only 60 feet and by the time 1B catches, looks for the tag, the realize the runner is gone it is too late to get her out at 2nd. Had runner take an extra step off the lead and go on the throw to first. Players came up to me and stated “1B is turning the wrong way”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802