Pick-off Options at 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Okay, the two pick-off options I see at 3B are (1) the catcher springs up and rifles the ball to the third-baseman up the line about a step in front of the runner's lead-off distance, or (2) the catcher springs up and rifles the ball to the short-stop at the bag.

When the runner at 3B is clearly a very good base-runner who is very aggressive with her lead-offs at 3B, I think I prefer the catcher throw to the third-baseman up the line, as I think the runner is wanting the throw to go behind her to the short-stop. However, I'm not sure about this.

For those of you who use these two options, which is most appealing? And, when you have the catcher throw to the third-baseman up the line, do you have the short-stop back it up at the bag or the more effective backup further behind the bag (Yes, I know the left-fielder is also a deeper back-up for this)?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Again this is a high risk low gain play, so I do not place much emphasis on it during games. I hate that runner scoring, so I play the SS up a lot to get the runner at home. Or I may have the 3B up and the SS back. I also want my 3B as the main fielder on any bunts. So these thoughts are all taking precendence.

I have also seen bad things happen when the SS is overly concerned about backing up 3B and not minding the middle of the field and 2B (non bunt situations with that runner there of course). So no, the SS does not back it up.

Thus, and now I will mention that, my first choice is a quick throw-back to the pitcher, who can easily do a quick throw back to the catcher should the runner take off on a delayed steal home. I, too, see these pick-off attempts at 3B as too risky. Nonetheless, my question is this, "When a pick-off at third is attempted, which of the two options do you all prefer?"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The SS covering option is a play called in advance, whereas the 3B covering option can either be a called or reactionary page. One option can be used to set up the other. Admittedly, it is a high risk play if not executed properly, but the reward is significant too, particularly in an ITB situation when baserunners may be overaggressive.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
On DD's last All-Star team HC liked to play 3rd basemen up the line significantly ahead of the 3rd base runner. It seemed to deter 3rd base coaches from attempting delayed steals but I'm not sure if it is the correct way to play up your 3rd basemen. DD doesn't throw down to 3rd with runner on it. In Rec this is almost an automatic score if catcher attempts this throw down. DD just pops and makes a quick throw to the pitcher and quickly positions herself slightly in front of the plate out off the running lane and anticipates the delayed steal.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
As a 3rd base coach, if I see the opposing catcher pop and run back players I give my runners the long lead sign on every pitch. Nothing tires out catchers faster then poping up and chasing back runners. Eventually from what I've experienced the catcher gets gased out and gets lazy with everything else, blocking, framing, throw downs ect. And in Rec it is rare if a team has more then 1 strong catcher to relieve the tired out catcher. Again DD playes Rec ball and I would assume that some of our "plays" would not work at the TB level.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've never understood why teams would take the risk for such low odds of getting the runner out.

And I've never understood the constant "running back" the runner as that will wear down a catcher. Just throw the ball back to the pitcher after taking a glance at runner.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I've never understood why teams would take the risk for such low odds of getting the runner out.

And I've never understood the constant "running back" the runner as that will wear down a catcher. Just throw the ball back to the pitcher after taking a glance at runner.

I agree with this statement.

Mar 6, 2018
12U and opposing team has runner at 3rd taking a very aggressive lead at 3rd base almost baiting the throw. They are doing this with every runner. Should the 3rd baseman trail the runner? The catcher could make a quick throw to the 3rd baseman for a possible easy tag. This would need to be practiced a lot.

Otherwise I like the idea of the catcher looking at the runner then a quick throw back to pitcher and setting up to defend the possible delayed steal.

Feb 15, 2017
12U and opposing team has runner at 3rd taking a very aggressive lead at 3rd base almost baiting the throw. They are doing this with every runner. Should the 3rd baseman trail the runner? The catcher could make a quick throw to the 3rd baseman for a possible easy tag. This would need to be practiced a lot.

Otherwise I like the idea of the catcher looking at the runner then a quick throw back to pitcher and setting up to defend the possible delayed steal.

We do this ALOT. My 3b trails slightly behind the runner. We seem to get alot of outs on the return throw to catcher. Also....runner on third and 1st less than 2 outs when we know they are going to take second. On the pitch an immediate snap throw to 3b. I can’t tell you how many runners we have gotten when they are deer in the headlights.

Apr 28, 2019
Okay, the two pick-off options I see at 3B are (1) the catcher springs up and rifles the ball to the third-baseman up the line about a step in front of the runner's lead-off distance, or (2) the catcher springs up and rifles the ball to the short-stop at the bag.

When the runner at 3B is clearly a very good base-runner who is very aggressive with her lead-offs at 3B, I think I prefer the catcher throw to the third-baseman up the line, as I think the runner is wanting the throw to go behind her to the short-stop. However, I'm not sure about this.

For those of you who use these two options, which is most appealing? And, when you have the catcher throw to the third-baseman up the line, do you have the short-stop back it up at the bag or the more effective backup further behind the bag (Yes, I know the left-fielder is also a deeper back-up for this)?
How about catcher faking a throw to 3rd and running her back to base?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog