Phone booth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Honestly, I don't see how this cue would help.

Maybe 'land on a bent front knee' would be more exact, and impossible to mis-interpret.
It was the idea to maybe get across to the player that the stride is not meant to go to the ball as in go get it, which can cause issues. Instead the stride is meant to somewhat stay where you are and put the body in position to be ready to swing when the ball gets to you.

The idea of the "phone booth" that I've read about before (albeit used for a different purpose)came to me again, because my DD who is still out due to a injury has been swinging on 1 leg and also on the knee from front toss. So she is having to feel letting the ball come to her vs going to get it. Before she was injured I had planned on having her work some no stride during Bp to get the same feeling.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
It was the idea to maybe get across to the player that the stride is not meant to go to the ball as in go get it, which can cause issues. Instead the stride is meant to somewhat stay where you are and put the body in position to be ready to swing when the ball gets to you.
IMO, if somebody lunges then it may be ok but if not then the result of this cue may cause a hitter to get stuck on his/her backside if one isn't careful. I agree with the bolded..

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For various reasons DD went to a no stride swing. I am not promoting it, or not not promoting it, just a tool you should have in your bag if a particular player is having trouble with her stride.

When she did stride when she was younger she used her stride for timing. The p she faced game to game were vastly different speeds.

Oct 2, 2017
IMO, if somebody lunges then it may be ok but if not then the result of this cue may cause a hitter to get stuck on his/her backside if one isn't careful. I agree with the bolded..
I agree one would need to be careful. You must have some idea of what getting off the backside means in the swing. A lot of kids though if you say get off the backside, they translate that as pushing off of the back side with he rear foot and leg to go forward. When in reality you can get off the backside without moving forward as in like a no stride.

May 12, 2016
I agree one would need to be careful. You must have some idea of what getting off the backside means in the swing. A lot of kids though if you say get off the backside, they translate that as pushing off of the back side with he rear foot and leg to go forward. When in reality you can get off the backside without moving forward as in like a no stride.
gif (2).gif

Jun 8, 2016
Stride foot doesn't have to move forward but the middle should. Marcela can stride 10 different lengths and still not get the middle to move out properly..

Apr 1, 2017
What's a "phone booth"?
This was going to be my smart-rear response too.

Google gods tell me there were about 100,000 "pay phones" (not sure how many were in a booth) left in the US in 2016. Can't find current numbers, but articles mention New York having very few left, and they had 20,000 in the 2016 survey. The 1999 survey had 2,000,000 pay phones in the US.

This ends today's useless info....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802