Perfect in practice but not in games. Any help would be great.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
My DD has her second middle school game. Much better performance. Much better technique. Better stamina etc etc.
Nothing like mound time to dial it in.
Very proud of her improvements.
Need to keep it going.
Thanks all for everyone’s input. However, I’m keeping bourbon in the car just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
It is not an issue of her understanding. It is an issue of muscle memory. You have to keep practicing correctly until the old habits are overwritten by the new habits.

To compound on what Sluggers wrote, it's also a mental thing. If I were you, I'd see if any local universities in your area have a Sports Psych program... pay some students $20 to come work with your pitchers (and team). It can be about not letting the moment get too big in your own head and remembering to do what your body has been trained to do. I can recall many games when I "didn't have it" that game and as a result I tried muscling the ball, over throwing it, or other mechanical breakdowns. But that starts with knowing how to control your thoughts in the circle. Some people can do it naturally, others need help. Atlanta Braves John Smoltz used to get hypnotized before games. Since coming to Providence, I have made it a requirement for our staff to see the school's sports psych guy, who is world renowned and has worked for Patriots and Red Sox. It's paid off. If you don't have access to one, just look up some TedTalks or YouTube videos to get the basics to help her. I'd also come up with some catch phrases that you can say to her that will reminder her to snap back to her mechanics. In my case, I yell "whip it" when I see the pitchers stopping their hand or not following through with the pitches. That simple phrase reminds them of several other things necessary in the delivery. Sometimes, by fixing one thing, she can fix several by association.

Bill

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
But that starts with knowing how to control your thoughts in the circle.

This is so important in softball. My DD didn't start getting control until about the mid-point of her junior year in HS.

Nov 8, 2018
My DD had amazing control last season. Since switching her whole style she has struggled a bit but it’s to be expected without enough reps to groove it. However, she gained about 6mph since December and continues to throw Hard.
I know in time it will
All come together. I’m just impatient. I suppose it’s a dad problem not a DD problem.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
To compound on what Sluggers wrote, it's also a mental thing. If I were you, I'd see if any local universities in your area have a Sports Psych program... pay some students $20 to come work with your pitchers (and team). It can be about not letting the moment get too big in your own head and remembering to do what your body has been trained to do. I can recall many games when I "didn't have it" that game and as a result I tried muscling the ball, over throwing it, or other mechanical breakdowns. But that starts with knowing how to control your thoughts in the circle. Some people can do it naturally, others need help. Atlanta Braves John Smoltz used to get hypnotized before games. Since coming to Providence, I have made it a requirement for our staff to see the school's sports psych guy, who is world renowned and has worked for Patriots and Red Sox. It's paid off. If you don't have access to one, just look up some TedTalks or YouTube videos to get the basics to help her. I'd also come up with some catch phrases that you can say to her that will reminder her to snap back to her mechanics. In my case, I yell "whip it" when I see the pitchers stopping their hand or not following through with the pitches. That simple phrase reminds them of several other things necessary in the delivery. Sometimes, by fixing one thing, she can fix several by association.

Bill

I like that cue “whip it” instead of finish the pitch. It makes a lot more sense to the pitcher. Thanks for sharing....and will pass this cue. So when dad yells finish the pitch, D will think whip.

I’ve been watching positivity training videos. Top 2 things athletes need to conquer is self confidence “they have to believe in themselves “ if not when you tell them they are doing great they say you’re just saying that because you’re my coach. 2 mind control “how to get over failure and move on” I heard Kelly Barnhill say while she is in the circle she has to keep her stress level at least a 4 “excitement level” but realizing you have a stress level is half the battle.

Apr 12, 2015
I heard Kelly Barnhill say while she is in the circle she has to keep her stress level at least a 4 “excitement level” but realizing you have a stress level is half the battle.

Barnhill isn't a pitcher I would hold up as mentally stable in the circle.

She said it at the beginning of the season. It’s the theory I was trying to get across. I’m one of Kelley’s crow hop biggest critics which I’m not proud of. She is still a great athlete and apparently intelligent. Didn’t mean to turn this into a bash Kelly post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23