Perfect in practice but not in games. Any help would be great.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
This fall we worked with [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION] and learned a ton. Did a total revamp of her technique from HE TO IR and changed her windup etc. Huge undertaking but it was necessary and my DD was up to the task. Hard worker and loved Java.
Anyhow, at this point the season has started and now come all the problems.
I can get her completely dialed in during practice sessions as long as she is not throwing hard. As soon as she tries to amp it up all the old habits creep in.
Also, during games she just can’t keep her form together. As the innings go by the tech gets further from what we all know as proper.
It maybe just a mental thing , a practice thing or something else but I could use some advice to get her to understand that this
Technique, I-R is designed so she doesn’t have to throw hard but to use the whip. She is not big and strong which is mainly why I switched her to I-R.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like it could be a couple of different things. Could be a focus/concentration issue or a mechanics problem.
Have her talk herself through what she needs to do. Just pick a few simple steps she can check as she goes.
She has to pitch all-out all the time!!! Hard push off- nice fast tight arm circle, don’t lean forward and guide the ball, stand tall take aim and whip your arm through.
She needs to visualize a successful pitch in her head and then execute. The windmill technique is hard!!! It comes with a lot of practice and dedication. I would have her pitch every other day. Maybe fifty/sixty quality pitches and drills.
Have her go through her warm-ups and then go through all her pitches. Alternate fastball/change-ups. Hit spots and then simulate a batter or two. Have her do underhand long toss gradually working her way back to 2nd base as a warm-up. Finish with starters. A drill for power where she gets down in a sprinters starter positions and explodes out of the block. Maybe 10 reps or so.
Ensure she is doing the same warm-up drills in the same order every time. This will bring a sense of normalcy and keep her calm and focused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802