Penny for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
I could be wrong, but if it was me doing that drill, I would just give the cue Back Pocket to Pitcher when performing the separation/pullback phase

I always make it fun for the kids whenever I refer to that and say left butt cheek. Makes them giggle. And, I've learned...if it makes them laugh, they remember it better.

Dec 5, 2017
At times my 10 YO has point blank told she doesn't feel anything when she swings..LOL!! I am sure that isn't totally true but it probably isn't too far from the truth. Thinking about getting her checked for some sort of rare genetic disorder or something :LOL:
I get the same thing from my daughter. I'll tell her, show her myself and actually move her body the way I'm trying to get her to with the same result usually- " I don't get it" or " I don't feel it" We just keep plugging away, it has to eventually click.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
I should say that off the tee she does a pretty decent job, we've done the feet together drill so many times I think she has nightmares about it. The problem, like most 10 yo's, is a moving ball. Gets in a hurry and forgets everything. On a positive note she has taken to slapping so well it amazes me sometimes. Hard to believe she's only been doing it about a year now.

May 1, 2011
I get the same thing from my daughter. I'll tell her, show her myself and actually move her body they I'm trying to get her to with the same result usually- " I don't get it" or " I don't feel it" We just keep plugging away, it has to eventually click.

Funny story involving something very similar with my oldest about 5 years ago. Her head was getting WAY over her front side. We worked on a Sunday and I kept striking a pose of where her head should be at contact. I kept saying "head behind the ball." She could not get it, and we left the park with her in shambles. Go to hitting lesson THE NEXT DAY where I let her instructor at the time know what was going on. After one swing he says (he's a country boy) "babybaby...you got to keep your nooose...behind your knee." At that point she said "like this" and promptly struck the same pose I was the day before. She looked down at the position she was in, looked over at me (I was about 10 feet away) and said "sorry dad." Sometimes it takes different words.

May 1, 2011
I should say that off the tee she does a pretty decent job, we've done the feet together drill so many times I think she has nightmares about it. The problem, like most 10 yo's, is a moving ball. Gets in a hurry and forgets everything. On a positive note she has taken to slapping so well it amazes me sometimes. Hard to believe she's only been doing it about a year now.

The moment the ball starts moving...all bets are off. I could show you the video of the same girl that was doing those drills hitting 15 minutes later, but I'll just tell you...the swing did not look the same. I tell all of mine they need to be working these drills we do on their own. You can tell the ones that do.

Jul 29, 2013
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this discussion, sorry in advance if I did, but what would the consensus be on the front foot landing open vs closed? I liked the vid's btw and will be having my dd watch them later today.
I always advocate landing with the foot open. I much prefer having the lower half opening while the upper half is closing/coiling. There's lots of talk about coiling the hips but I think coiling the core is more important.
When the hips open against a shoulders closing there's a massive amount of torque stored in the core.
Opening the front foot allows the batter to drive the front hip rearward continuing the pelvis turn without strain on the knee. The rearward drive/continued turning of the pelvis pulls the shoulders through rather than the core contracting against a blocked pelvis/closed front leg.
Definitely not the consensus view, but then my goal wasn't to teach ground balls or soft liners to ss.
No fence too far!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802