Penny for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was curious because my dd always lands open but she is very upper body, rotational, slices across the ball. Just wondering if landing closed could help. I know there are other causes/solutions, just throwing it out there.

It could be an issue, but without actually seeing video, it would be hard to tell. Some people refer to something called "meaningful coil" while others refer to "max coil". In either case there is a coiling action occurring in the rear hip just prior to swing launch. If that is in tact when launch occurs, opening the front foot a little should not be an issue. Some refer to this as "creating space". But if the opening is the result of a hitter losing the coil or uncoiling too early (bleed), it is not good. If she is swinging all upper body, then it is quite possible that she is losing coil prematurely.

Dec 5, 2017
It could be an issue, but without actually seeing video, it would be hard to tell. Some people refer to something called "meaningful coil" while others refer to "max coil". In either case there is a coiling action occurring in the rear hip just prior to swing launch. If that is in tact when launch occurs, opening the front foot a little should not be an issue. Some refer to this as "creating space". But if the opening is the result of a hitter losing the coil or uncoiling too early (bleed), it is not good. If she is swinging all upper body, then it is quite possible that she is losing coil prematurely.
She doesn't get a good coil and it's gotten worse since she switched to the left and started slapping. Hard to focus on slapping and hitting away at 10. Currently on a 3 week hiatus with a knee injury so I'm sure it will be worse than ever when we get back at it.

May 1, 2011
I was curious because my dd always lands open but she is very upper body, rotational, slices across the ball. Just wondering if landing closed could help. I know there are other causes/solutions, just throwing it out there.

How old is you DD? The slicing across the ball could have a lot to do with what we discussed above (the coil while striding part). I'm dealing with a lot of kids with the same issue right now. Post a video and let's see if we can help out.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
She doesn't get a good coil and it's gotten worse since she switched to the left and started slapping. Hard to focus on slapping and hitting away at 10. Currently on a 3 week hiatus with a knee injury so I'm sure it will be worse than ever when we get back at it.

She is still very young. There are several other parents on here with daughters at that age. In most cases they are still just learning how to use their bodies. And then as soon as they do, they hit a growth spurt, and have to start all over. But if you keep reinforcing good mechanics, it is only a matter of time before it will click for her.

May 1, 2011
She is still very young. There are several other parents on here with daughters at that age. In most cases they are still just learning how to use their bodies. And then as soon as they do, they hit a growth spurt, and have to start all over. But if you keep reinforcing good mechanics, it is only a matter of time before it will click for her.

OMG...NAIL ON THE HEAD. Body awareness is such a huge freaking deal. Working with 10u girls and working with high school girls is freakin' night and day. Keep going up that chain, and working with College Girls...it's even easier to get them to understand things just because they can FEEL things so much easier. Patients bro. Waiting on approval to post a video of a kid I was working with last night that might help out MikeP.

Jun 8, 2016
OMG...NAIL ON THE HEAD. Body awareness is such a huge freaking deal. Working with 10u girls and working with high school girls is freakin' night and day. Keep going up that chain, and working with College Girls...it's even easier to get them to understand things just because they can FEEL things so much easier. Patients bro. Waiting on approval to post a video of a kid I was working with last night that might help out MikeP.
At times my 10 YO has point blank told she doesn't feel anything when she swings..LOL!! I am sure that isn't totally true but it probably isn't too far from the truth. Thinking about getting her checked for some sort of rare genetic disorder or something :LOL:

Oct 2, 2017
At times my 10 YO has point blank told she doesn't feel anything when she swings..LOL!! I am sure that isn't totally true but it probably isn't too far from the truth. Thinking about getting her checked for some sort of rare genetic disorder or something :LOL:
My DD and yours would be buddies in that statement 😅

Jun 8, 2016
My DD and yours would be buddies in that statement 😅
Oklahoma water maybe..

Pretty sure I was the same way (as are most kids at that age) but the difference was my old man wasn't out there asking me what I felt at 10 YO. We would go to a field (no cages at that time) and if I hit some over the LL fence it was a good day... 🤷‍♂️

May 1, 2011

This is a 10u kid that I work with. Kid is gonna be good, but she experiences a lot of the same issues you were talking about.

Oct 2, 2017
This is a 10u kid that I work with. Kid is gonna be good, but she experiences a lot of the same issues you were talking about.

I could be wrong, but if it was me doing that drill, I would just give the cue Back Pocket to Pitcher when performing the separation/pullback phase

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101