Penny for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Yes, basically. The idea, whether you believe that separation happens naturally or is a actual action that is purposely done, which I don't want to debate, is that young players at least imo do not know or understand when in sequence this is to occure, timing wise. I will just say IMO it does not occure naturally for youth players. It has to be taught. One way I have found to get the idea across to tell her to think of throwing a ball. You separate on the forward move. For some reason when it comes to hitting it doesn't translate in their mind very well.

90% of youth players understanding of the swing is ALL BACK/COIL and ALL FORWARD/UNCOIL. This is from me viewing players generally 12u and under

100% agree with you, and I use the comparison to throwing as well. The forward/uncoil is my biggest challenge right now with all of my younger kids.

May 1, 2011
From the position hands in front tall/fall drill just let yourself coil naturally without thinking about it.

I don't think about it now. It just happens. But, I was taught how to skip rocks at a very young age, which is like throwing a ball sidearm, which has a lot of similarities to swinging a bat. Just my opinion on that though. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't think about it now. It just happens. But, I was taught how to skip rocks at a very young age, which is like throwing a ball sidearm, which has a lot of similarities to swinging a bat. Just my opinion on that though. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

When I was a kid we were always taught to stride (coil) while taking (keeping)the hands back.. The problem is one is attempting to stretch back towards the catcher to counter the the forward coil.. The counter against the positive move towards the pitcher should be created behind you not towards the catcher. One needs that to counter the catcher/pitcher momentum.. pulling back against the momentum will not prevent the weight from shifting across the pelvis to the front leg..

wSreKwH.png

Oct 2, 2017
You hit the nail on the head. I've been in arguments many times on this forum, about this very thing. Arguing about whether the professionals are forcing a action or letting it happen naturally. It can be the subject of coil, separation, torquing the barrel or not, Down to etc. So it comes down to: The pro's let it happen naturally, so we should teach out players to let it happen naturally. Well, the truth is that, the pro's have been doing it since they were 5yrs old, swing a bat for 8hours a day multiple times a week for a living. Of course, its natural to them, but they learned that action at some point in time. No different than walking. When discussing these things, IMO there should be taken into account the player, age, and understanding of what they are trying to accomplish. Just my .02

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
When I was a kid we were always taught to stride (coil) while taking (keeping)the hands back.. The problem is one is attempting to stretch back towards the catcher to counter the the forward coil.. The counter against the positive move towards the pitcher should be created behind you not towards the catcher. One needs that to counter the catcher/pitcher momentum.. pulling back against the momentum will not prevent the weight from shifting across the pelvis to the front leg..

wSreKwH.png

When I was young, I was taught to hit a ball like this.

1582753781713.png

But, i do agree with the idea that it happens behind you. When I say "back," I'm not saying to take your hands directly back. I saw someone on here once describe the coil as "creating a corner" for your hands to come around. Can't create a corner by moving backwards in a straight line. When I think of that very action, I think of Ohtani's swing...hence the drill from the original post.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
When I was young, I was taught to hit a ball like this.

View attachment 16506

But, i do agree with the idea that it happens behind you. When I say "back," I'm not saying to take your hands directly back. I saw someone on here once describe the coil as "creating a corner" for your hands to come around. Can't create a corner by moving backwards in a straight line. When I think of that very action, I think of Ohtani's swing...hence the drill from the original post.

If the movements are balanced you will never worry about loosing the coil.. IOW's focus within the s-plane dynamic balance should happen naturally.

But then again if one wants to control getting into a leveraged fyb dynamic hitting position using the rear leg/hip relationship good luck.. Been there done that !!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
You hit the nail on the head. I've been in arguments many times on this forum, about this very thing. Arguing about whether the professionals are forcing a action or letting it happen naturally. It can be the subject of coil, separation, torquing the barrel or not, Down to etc. So it comes down to: The pro's let it happen naturally, so we should teach out players to let it happen naturally. Well, the truth is that, the pro's have been doing it since they were 5yrs old, swing a bat for 8hours a day multiple times a week for a living. Of course, its natural to them, but they learned that action at some point in time. No different than walking. When discussing these things, IMO there should be taken into account the player, age, and understanding of what they are trying to accomplish. Just my .02
Some kids do it naturally while others need to learn and practice until it becomes natural.
I always hate it when the coach says, do it this way (wrong way)...and the natural kids don't copy but get credit for doing it "right", and the kids who copy exactly, fail, and it's because they're doing it "wrong."

Dec 5, 2017
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this discussion, sorry in advance if I did, but what would the consensus be on the front foot landing open vs closed? I liked the vid's btw and will be having my dd watch them later today.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this discussion, sorry in advance if I did, but what would the consensus be on the front foot landing open vs closed? I liked the vid's btw and will be having my dd watch them later today.

Personally I think it is a no-teach. Some pros land closed, some open. It is what happens higher that is more important to me.

Dec 5, 2017
Personally I think it is a no-teach. Some pros land closed, some open. It is what happens higher that is more important to me.
I was curious because my dd always lands open but she is very upper body, rotational, slices across the ball. Just wondering if landing closed could help. I know there are other causes/solutions, just throwing it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802