Penny for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Read the story before you watch the videos so you'll know the scope of what's going on...

During the past 2 summers, I've had the pleasure of working with a few college players that have been sent my way, and we have experienced some nominal success. I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE those successes are more a result of how freakishly athletic they are, the fact that I can throw full windmill (so they get to see live arm), and the confidence I work REALLY HARD to instill in them...as opposed to my VAST KNOWLEDGE of the swing (there really should be a sarcasm font).

One of the girls I referenced above starts at 3rd for a team in the Big 12. We put in a lot of work (4 nights a week) and she raised her average around 150 points between her Freshmen and Sophomore year, and became a real run producer. Her and I have put a lot of focus on her not being so one dimensional (has always struggled to hit anything away consistently). She has started the season ON FIRE, but is still struggling to go the other way with any authority. This past weekend, she was in town for a tournament and tried to get some time for us to meet up, but was unable to do so out of fairness to all of the other athletes that also had to remain with the team (totally get that). So...I made these videos for her so she could get some work in. She did experience more success this weekend (4 extra base hits to right/right-center including a couple of dingers).

I am posting these for personal reasons. The kids that I work with are talented in their own right, but as I help them grow as athletes and human beings (if you're just focusing on hitting you are doing it wrong), I also am trying to grow as a coach. So, I'm putting myself out there. This is terrifying for me because I am very self-conscious about my all around knowledge, the words that I use to explain things, and my ability to replicate what it is I'm trying to teach them without looking like a total idiot.

So, here they are. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Just give me a heads up before you throw me in the "Hall of Shame."

Sep 29, 2014
Looks all good to me....identifying an issue, focusing on potential cause, suggesting solution, working in a drill or two, using positive encouragement we should all wish we had an instructor like you keep up the good work.

May 1, 2011
I love that you made these for her. Such a great way to support and encourage your player! #signofagreatcoach

Kid is a stud. No counting Sis Bates (cause she's playing on another planet), she may be one of the Top 5 best defenders in the country. Just a flat out special player at 3rd.

May 1, 2011
Looks all good to me....identifying an issue, focusing on potential cause, suggesting solution, working in a drill or two, using positive encouragement we should all wish we had an instructor like you keep up the good work.

Indeed I shall. Been playing golf since I was 6, and I actually draw a lot of things from that. Sergio Garcia's ability to hit the ball 340 yards while being smaller in stature than just about everyone on tour is all due to how he delays the club head while violently slotting his right elbow. Heck...he's just creating a lot of whip.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Read the story before you watch the videos so you'll know the scope of what's going on...

During the past 2 summers, I've had the pleasure of working with a few college players that have been sent my way, and we have experienced some nominal success. I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE those successes are more a result of how freakishly athletic they are, the fact that I can throw full windmill (so they get to see live arm), and the confidence I work REALLY HARD to instill in them...as opposed to my VAST KNOWLEDGE of the swing (there really should be a sarcasm font).

One of the girls I referenced above starts at 3rd for a team in the Big 12. We put in a lot of work (4 nights a week) and she raised her average around 150 points between her Freshmen and Sophomore year, and became a real run producer. Her and I have put a lot of focus on her not being so one dimensional (has always struggled to hit anything away consistently). She has started the season ON FIRE, but is still struggling to go the other way with any authority. This past weekend, she was in town for a tournament and tried to get some time for us to meet up, but was unable to do so out of fairness to all of the other athletes that also had to remain with the team (totally get that). So...I made these videos for her so she could get some work in. She did experience more success this weekend (4 extra base hits to right/right-center including a couple of dingers).

I am posting these for personal reasons. The kids that I work with are talented in their own right, but as I help them grow as athletes and human beings (if you're just focusing on hitting you are doing it wrong), I also am trying to grow as a coach. So, I'm putting myself out there. This is terrifying for me because I am very self-conscious about my all around knowledge, the words that I use to explain things, and my ability to replicate what it is I'm trying to teach them without looking like a total idiot.

So, here they are. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Just give me a heads up before you throw me in the "Hall of Shame."

Without seeing her video but listening to your description I think your thought process with video 1 is taking her in a good direction..

We work on getting into the hitting position (dynamically) with no commitment. Similar to what Griff is showing here.. From this position dynamically one should be able to drive pitches throughout the zone.

Hitters who bypass the position are good for one speed and limited direction.

c30mmxd.gif

The fake bunt swing also helps girls get into a good dynamic hitting position.

lRLzs1j.gif

This is another good drill to feel a dynamic hitting position. Again lots of big movement but it's used to get into a good hitting position (not to swing from)

OOF09dA.gif

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Without seeing her video but listening to your description I think your thought process with video 1 is taking her in a good direction..

We work on getting into the hitting position (dynamically) with no commitment. Similar to what Griff is showing here.. From this position dynamically one should be able to drive pitches throughout the zone.

Hitters who bypass the position are good for one speed and limited direction.

c30mmxd.gif

The fake bunt swing also helps girls get into a good dynamic hitting position.

lRLzs1j.gif

This is another good drill to feel a dynamic hitting position. Again lots of big movement but it's used to get into a good hitting position (not to swing from)

OOF09dA.gif

I have a video of her. Just don't want to post it without her consent. They have a big practice today before heading out to California to face some SERIOUSLY stiff competition. I do A LOT of fake bunt. What the lefty at the bottom is doing I have had a lot of my boys do. Something about them knowing who Gary Sheffield is makes it click for them. Most of my girls have struggled whenever I try to get them to make that big of a motion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Really good stuff @CobraAssist . Congratulations to you and to Bre! There is a senior member at another site that likes to use the phrase "resist rotation". Essentially that is the problem you isolated and are trying to correct. I think you are on the right track. Good luck on the rest of the season.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
During BP Barry tells JF ‘ I get into a position so if the ball is here, I’m here, if it’s here I’m here’. Hitting in a nutshell.

WilWtlj.gif

Oct 2, 2017
During BP Barry tells JF ‘ I get into a position so if the ball is here, I’m here, if it’s here I’m here’. Hitting in a nutshell.

WilWtlj.gif
Watch closely in this gif. He says, I get into position, his hands start to flatten out making that move by the way, (That flattening out would not be able to be stopped in full speed/swing) and then all of a sudden he changes direction and then chops or moves his hands down. That would not be possible when everything is moving together. So, someone watching this trying to understand would have a false understanding of what Bonds is really doing. This is what I mean, that they do a poor Job communicating what they actually do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478