Penalty for not able to bat full lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Playing in Babe Ruth tournament next weekend. Part of rules pack states:

"The lineup can consist of an EH, but once the lineup contains 10, the team must finish with 10 in the lineup. Failure to do so, results in a forfeit."

I can't find anywhere in the actual BR rulebook where this is the penalty. I always thought if a player can't bat, she's just ruled out (batting out of order)

Not overly concerned about it, and we'll live with the rule. But for our first pool play game we'll only have 10 players, so if we bat 10 and anyone gets hurt, the result will be a forfeit, which seems a little harsh (and more than the official rule book allows for - and this is official BR state tournament). Can anyone verify that the application is correct?

(I know the obvious solution is to bat 9, and have 1 sub just in case).

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Based on the number of players, this is your only solution! They allow an EH if you have a larger roster and you should maintain the integrity of the lineup throughout the game. Otherwise, it can be an advantage if you drop a player out of the lineup now batting 9. If you need to get in the 10th player, sub her into the lineup. No big deal.

Do the results of the pool games determine seeding or is it purely a practice game?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Weird rule...the typical penalty for a batter not able to play is an out for that position in the lineup, not a forfeit. Something I've seen lately with USSSA roster batting is a local rule saying that an injury causing a hole in the lineup won't result in an out unless the lineup drops to 8 players.

Jan 27, 2019
I agree Strike2. To encourage more participation, some USA TDS have begun allowing teams to bat the entire lineup and not charge an out until they drop below 8. Seems to punish coaches who try to get girls in the game.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Playing in Babe Ruth tournament next weekend. Part of rules pack states:

"The lineup can consist of an EH, but once the lineup contains 10, the team must finish with 10 in the lineup. Failure to do so, results in a forfeit."

I can't find anywhere in the actual BR rulebook where this is the penalty. I always thought if a player can't bat, she's just ruled out (batting out of order)

Not overly concerned about it, and we'll live with the rule. But for our first pool play game we'll only have 10 players, so if we bat 10 and anyone gets hurt, the result will be a forfeit, which seems a little harsh (and more than the official rule book allows for - and this is official BR state tournament). Can anyone verify that the application is correct?

Do this. Help the girls understand how the game works with subs and to play their role at that time. The sub in one game may be a starter in the next.

May 29, 2015
About a month ago I had a coach come out to the first game of “bat the roster/free sub” pool play ... and play a straight nine. I asked if she was aware she could bat everybody. “Yes. But the parents have been complaining about playing time, so I want to show them how the game should be played.”

Mad props coach ... mad props. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28