pause on lookback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
This past weekend in a tourney one of my girls rounds first while pitcher has ball in the circle comes to a stop and returns to first base like we have been teaching forever. Ump calls her out for pausing on the stop. I asked him how he determined she paused and how can a player come to a stop without pausing. I have heard several things from 2 counts, to two beats to without hesitation. Playing ASA (sorry USA) ball.

Does anyone else feel this rule leaves to much up for determination or too much of a judgement call? This was in bracket play and did not effect outcome of game, player was instructed to go and did not. However I want to make sure we are teaching the girls the correct rules. If this had been a close game i would have been tossed, instead i asked for clarification and returned to my bucket shaking my head.

Jun 22, 2008
As you stated, by rule she is allowed to round and stop, but then must immediately choose to advance or return. What is generally taught at most umpire clinics is to give a quick 2 count and if the runner isn't moving after 2 then they are out. Of course deciding what constitutes immediately comes down to each individual umpires judgement.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I have never taught any of my baserunners to pause at all. To me, there is no count. Immediately is immediate, no pause. If you teach it that way, you'll never monday quarterback the call. Not trying to be harsh, but there is nothing gained from the pause IMO.

Mar 7, 2016
No one is teaching a pause. Not trying to be harsh but you read my post wrong. Ump interpreted stop and go back as a pause.

Jan 27, 2019
Agree with Comp, a quick, thousand one thousand two, no movement, runner is out for violating the look-back rule.

May 17, 2012
. I have heard several things from 2 counts, to two beats to without hesitation. Playing ASA (sorry USA) ball.

That's not in the rule book. I understand we are splitting hairs (umpires discretion) but I would have protested on merit.

Yes the LBR is dumb....

Mar 7, 2016
I did protest for clarification, his exact reply was "she stopped, then returned to the base". I asked how does one return to a base without stopping first. Went to HP ump and his reply was "was a judgement call" i knew at that point it was pointless to keep it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812