Pause at the top of throw.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
Just chiming in here to support that Wasserman's videos, e-books, etc are worth the (relatively low) cost. The drills are uncluttered with useless movement and teach the girls what it feels like to execute a fluid, high-level throw. The more fluid her movements, the faster she'll be.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Wasserman has some great stuff. I love his video and writings. One key to getting the pause out is to get the arm lagging the body. The sequence that was mentioned starting with the feet and ending with the hand/ball is correct. The throw, like the pitch, or the swing, starts from the ground and builds to the ball. I have talked with my teams about loading or stretching six rubber bands. The first is in the legs, then the core, the upper arm, the lower arm, the hand, and the fingers. They go in that order and if the upper arm gets loaded before the core there will be a pause in the arm. It is better if the arm is moving very fast to catch up with the core.
If you have someone on the team, or on the coaching staff with good throwing mechanics use them as an example and then show the girls videos of themselves throwing to compare and contrast.

Aug 19, 2019
I know it has been awhile since I last posted, I appreciate all the advice that everyone has provided. To those that reference Wasserman; do you know anything about the "She's Got a Cannon Throwing Program" from Dan Blewett? Any feedback on it? How does it compare to Wasserman's High Velocity Throwing?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
She's getting her arm up before her body is ready, so her arm needs to wait until her body catches up. Keep the ball in the glove until the body starts....
If her arm is ready would never say slow down mechanics by leaving ball in glove.
Would say activate pivot quicker and get into a rythem.
Transition/ pivot are 'together' mechanics.

Generally getting the ball out of glove immediatly is a good thing.
Stopped arm with ball up is a seperate glitch.

Mental + timing.
Break that nasty habit by creating rythem.
Its a mental decision first
(awareness its happening)
And purposely not stopping.

It may be happening
(originally either by creating the pause, or unintended.
Either way its a mental momment to physically correct)

Video would be best to help.
imo we transition/pivot into our throw.
Which lines us up to the target.
Without seeing where her body is at ....
Only thing can say is
Rythem
Video would be helpful to be helpful.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I highly recommend Austin's material. I only got to watch half of it yesterday due to a work meeting, but I got to watch a webinar given by him last night. He has a coupon code for his e-book for 25pct off - 'HLT25'.

If anyone has information on Jay's latest throwing material, please share a link. It's been 3 or 4 years since my DD went to one of his Catching Camps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802