Passed Ball or Wild Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
No he is just someone that knows the proper way to score the play. Hits the dirt before it gets to the catcher and gets by them, it is a Wild Pitch. period. No bull fighting analogies needed. Wild Pitch.
Incorrect. Everything is subjective just check an official score book TexasFeet.

Apr 28, 2019
Anything that hits the dirt in front of the plate or the plate itself is a wild pitch. That isn't subjective or debatable.
Yes it is. Definition of wild pitch:
A pitch that is too high, too wide, or too short to home plate that catcher can’t receive with normal/ordinary effort.
Normal/ordinary effort is getting in front of the ball and hitting your knees while leaning forward to try and keep the ball in front of you.
Subjective just like a fielder. If you get your glove on the ball other than in a full out dive it should be an error correct? I have seen many hits given on routine plays. Subjective in eyes of official scorer. Some people are hard liners and some are more forgiving.
Similar to umps. Some umps have consistent strike zones and some you just can’t figure out what there seeing back there. Everything is subjective. Only things black/white are death & taxes.

Mar 28, 2014
Incorrect. Everything is subjective just check an official score book TexasFeet.
I know this is a waste of time because you think you are never wrong, but here is the rule in the MLB Rule book. Now if you don't believe this, I don't know what to tell you.

10.13 Wild Pitches And Passed Balls
(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

Here is the link to it if you care to take the time to educate yourself.
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

Apr 28, 2019
I know this is a waste of time because you think you are never wrong, but here is the rule in the MLB Rule book. Now if you don't believe this, I don't know what to tell you.

10.13 Wild Pitches And Passed Balls
(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

Here is the link to it if you care to take the time to educate yourself.
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/10_the_official_scorer.pdf
Not a matter of right & wrong. Once again SUBJECTIVE!!! What constitutes normal/ordinary effort? Your description may be different than somebody else’s. Yeah I think I already posted that info. Right back at you with the always right comment.
Everybody has the right to their opinion. Once again a gray area depending on scorers take on the play.

Feb 13, 2015
The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2016
Not a matter of right & wrong. Once again SUBJECTIVE!!! What constitutes normal/ordinary effort? Your description may be different than somebody else’s.

Blocking is NOT “ordinary” effort. Whether you’re a pitcher’s dad, a catcher’s dad, a coach, or the pope, you would agree with that statement IF you’re logical. Marriard’s response at the beginning of this thread is absolutely correct, and so is Texasheat’s additional info about a pitch in the dirt. For further clarification, just in case you or anyone else doesn’t want to believe it, I’m copying and pasting NCAA rules 14.28 and 14.29 below, highlighting key words for emphasis.

14.28 Wild Pitch
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low
that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one
base runner advances. *Any pitch in the dirt is wild.* Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the
number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout. No wild pitch is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.

14.29 Passed Ball
A passed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to stop or control a
pitch with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Only one
passed ball is recorded regardless of the number of base runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher that could have been handled with ordinary effort, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a passed ball and a strikeout. No passed ball
is charged if a base runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A
passed ball is not an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
Not a matter of right & wrong. Once again SUBJECTIVE!!! What constitutes normal/ordinary effort? Your description may be different than somebody else’s. Yeah I think I already posted that info. Right back at you with the always right comment.
Everybody has the right to their opinion. Once again a gray area depending on scorers take on the play.
Lol, you completely ignore the part that proves you are wrong!!! ha ha ha.

It clearly states that The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher

Nothing to do with ordinary effort. Forget that part. Just look at the above. Geezus

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You must be the pitchers Dad writer was referring to. I have daughters that pitch and catch. The problem with catchers is that they get lazy and don’t “sell out” and hit their knees on low pitches in the dirt. They are supposed to get in front of the ball and block it that is a big part of their job.
I understand they have equipment on, and it’s hot and cumbersome but that’s the position they chose.
Too much “bull fighter” mentality out there I’ll just try and backhand the ball without moving to get in front of it. They wear all that equipment for a reason. Get in front of the ball and block the damn thing!!!
Now one thing that shouldn’t be the catchers responsibility is running down to 1st in full gear to back-up throw to 1st. Crazy to expect that from catcher. Let right fielder get a little exercise and back-up 1st base. Makes so much more sense.

A ball that hits the dirt before a catcher is REASONABLY able to catch it - and a runner advances - is a WP. Every time. Yes, a competent catcher is expected to block those pitches, just as a good F3 is expected to pick bounced throws. It is part of a catcher's job to limit the potential damage of pitches in the dirt, but not being successful at blocking those pitches is not an error on F2.

I'm good with a catcher running down the line on an IF play to 1B.. A throw in the dirt sometimes bounces off F3 and caroms towards the home plate side of 1B. This is also part of limiting potential damage. F9 should be backing up on the OF side of 1B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279