Park Safety...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I am enrolling my dd in a three day self defense class this summer. She is attractive, charming, polite, and a good ball player. She is beyond the age of me accompanying her to the concession stand, and the parks we play in usually have 4-6 fields. I don't think it will be a waste of time because she will have self defense skills to take with her wherever she goes. She responds kindly to those she meets but the prudent line is hard to draw. I encourage my children to travel in packs. The lesson of do not talk to strangers is one she thinks she has outgrown. It was never verified but the last tournament of the 2007 season, I had heard someone tried to force a child in a car.

Last week I was in public with my oldest, and I watched a man over 60 years old checking her out (this was in the mall), he followed her to where our table was and seemed to pass behind me. Until in my ear I heard, "You dd has a nice school girl shape and so do you." Admittingly I froze. I thought of all the things I should have said and wanted to say much later. My point to all this is that you never know who you are rubbing elbows with.

Moms, dads, and to the other decent people...please be watching out for our young people! If something doesn't seem right, at least move near to where the interaction is taking place. Bring questionable behavior to the Tournament Directors. I am always correcting the thinking of my children when they say, "That will never happen to me..." Softball fields could be very appealing to the wrong people.

On behalf of those who thought it would never happen to them, but did....thanks for listening.

Ang

May 7, 2008
Ang,

My DD did a self-defense course this winter. It was a great experience...really opened her eyes and gave her basic, important skills that are simple yet effective. At the conclusion of the class, they invited the parents in for a demonstration of what the girls learned. I was amazed to see my demure DD screaming at the top of her lungs and really trying to hurt the "attacker". We also make our kids travel in packs or at least pairs to the restrooms and concession stands. The kids also carry walkie-talkies which allow for a little more freedom.

Keith

May 7, 2008
Keith:

It sounds like our family's would get along famously. I'll let you know when the house next door goes up for sale :D

Seriously, I hope my daughter has that same experience. She needs the eye opening part...

Ang

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In addition to learning self-protection, i think it is just great for overall fitness, self-confidence, mental and physical toughness, discipline, respect of the authority, etc..

There are tremendous benefits.

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802