Parents drinking (Alcohol) at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I think some of the mentality on this thread as gotten out hand here. Do you truly believe its ok to drink at a kids function?? It is for the kids, always will be until their 18. Buzzed driving is still drunk driving. Wait till you get home to have a relaxing drink.

Oct 10, 2011
WHile there have been many times that I could have used a martini at a tournament, especially in the early days of DDs pitching, I saved that for my own time. I would agree with you that having alcohol at a tournament is not a good idea, in terms of spectator behavior if the person is over-served, in terms of driving, in terms of an example to the kids, etc. that is just my opinion- and of the things I have seen at tournaments- this I one that I have not. If the offender was a parent on DDs team, I would voice my concern to the coach and ask her/him to handle it. If it was a random person, I would consider finding the tournament director and pointing out a spectator who was bringing alcohol into the venue and let them intervene.

I would also be sure to sit as far away from that person as possible, in the likely event of increased volatility.
I have seen Valium pulled out before. Honey, do you really need that?

Oct 19, 2009
It’s about setting a good example for the kids.

We had a situation where my daughter’s friend’s team played in Florida 13-14 yo in a world series and the coaches showed up for the games reeking of alcohol and acting like a drunk. It was a mess parents were not happy and the kids were embarrassed.
The bad thing, one was a middle school coach (she was later fired as MS softball coach) and the other has become a middle school coach in another town.

Sometimes justice rides a slow horse.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
In reality.. I lived with an alcoholic for many years. Nothing you can do. If they want to drink they will drink no matter what. Telling a coach that someone is drinking isn't goito stop him. Instead he will just pound the drinks between games. Not knowing if thatt.pparent is even driving after the game you follow him around the tournament and see if he gets behind the wheel. If he does call the police and report a drunk driver. That way he can go to jail.

Aug 2, 2008
Most of you prudes would be shocked at the number of parent "first aid kits" at the ball field.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
From my dds team there are at least 6 parents who drink at tourneys. We have played with this same group of girls for 8 years, I only know they drink because they mention it, I have never seen them with a beer or acting drunk. Back at the hotel then I have seen just about every parent have a beer in the parking lot.

Has anyone considered the fact that HS and college kids are prone to binge drinking, do you think it might be because they don't know what responsible drinking looks like. If you hide the fact that occasionally you like to have 2 beers, or gin and tonics. And they you stop because you have to drive, or go to work the next morning... You might actually be teaching your kids that drinking does not have to mean slamming down 12 beers and half a handle of vodka.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Do you truly believe its ok to drink at a kids function??

Absolutely.

I don't understand the negative stigma to alcohol? It's the irresponsible use of (insert oodles of items here) that's a problem.

If you're having a team swim party, is it really a bad thing to have a glass of wine or beer with your pizza/burger?

We have tournaments at an Indianapolis site that has a bar with a balcony. You can watch 4 fields if you move around up on the balcony. Is it a bad thing to hang out on the balcony and have a beer while watching the games?

If I'm watching a sporting event on Saturday evening (WCWS) when a lot of kids are around, is it bad to have 1 beer (save my Sunday afternoon headache) watching the game?

So, yes, I think it's ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom